Shiping a motor

slowgoin

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone shipped a motor?? I know crazy question. What did you use to ship it and who did you use as a shipper? Pallet with a box around it??

Most likely it will have to be shipped on an L(ess) T(han) L(oad) shipper.
Roadway, Estes, Saia, Hollan, Conway, R&L, Dohrn are a few that I deal with.
I'm sure there are others in your area.
Depending on the destination you may choose a regional carrier or a national carrier.
I wouldn't depend on strapping it to a pallet. The motor doesn't lead itself to just sitting.
No good base for the top heavy motor.
A pallet of 30 X 42 or a 40 X 48 fourway with a blocked and bolted frame built on it with no covering. If you box it someone will think they can stack on it.

take a plastic tub, line bottom with quarter in. plywood. spray insulating foam in bottom 2, 3 in. deep, let cure , wrap drained motor in a garbage bag place motor in tub, spray tub full of foam till full to top let sit till cured up . saw off foam climbing out of top put lid on ,drill holes around perimeter of lid tie lid on with good stout wire or nylon ties

I've shipped a couple UPS. All got there fine. I cut a square piece of plywood to fit the bottom of a box. I then made a 2X4 cradle to support and keep the engine upright. That is mounted to the plywood, engine on top of that and it all strapped down. Then that all goes into the box. Kind of tricky to do though. Then I packed old towels and clothes all around it.
Of course one I shipped was dropped from who knows how far up. It was high enough to break the side cover off. Sheared the bolts right off. I don't think I could have packed that one enough to have saved it.
Insurance!!!

I work at UPS in Freight Forwarding. We move a lot of engines, from jets, tractors, boats, cars, and everything else. The best thing to remember is that it is going to be picked up by a forklift and moved by truck. If you question how strong it is you probably need more wood.

I might need to ship an R1 Yamaha engine from New Hampshire to South Cackalacke. Any idea what it costs? It is supposed to weigh 176 pounds, add a pallet and some electrics call it 200.

Use Uship:
http://www.uship.com/
Uship is sort of like the eBay of shipping. You say what you need shipped and where, and drivers bid on it. If you are patient, eventually someone who is going from where your load is to where it needs to be, and who has the space, will give you a good price.
You explain your situation, and you work one-on-one with the driver. For example, if someone is towing a trailer, you might just strap the engine to a pallet, tell the driver that you will help him to lift it into the bed of the pick-up, that there will be someone on the other end to help him unload it, and that you just want it covered with plastic and not sliding around. In this example, the engine would be gravy for the driver -- his real load is the trailer contents, so if he is going your way, you might get a great price.
From start to finish you are dealing with a single handler who understands what you are shipping and how it needs to be cared for. The drivers get feedback, just like on eBay, so they are very careful not to screw up.
I've had two motorcycles shipped this way. One was strapped in the bed of a pick-up that was towing a trailer, just like the example above. The other was strapped inside a cargo van, the van was empty, the driver was returning from delivering a load.

DogBunny isn't there a reality show about them(or drivers like them)?

shipping wars!
Ha-ha, I have no idea, I don't get cable.

I will say that it's kind of interesting -- There is a lot of emailing and phone calling before you accept a bid, and also during the transit, and you kind of get to know the driver and you get invested and develop a relationship with each other. I know that sounds lofty, but there is a huge amount of trust involved, and the more communication there is, the more comfortable you get. You trust that the driver won't damage or lose your load, and he trusts that you will be able to meet him on time for the pick-up and drop-off, that the load is as you describe it, and that you will pay him.

If 'Shipping Wars' is like the rest of the Discovery scripted bullshit so-called 'reality shows', then I would not lose a moment's sleep.

If 'Shipping Wars' is like the rest of the Discovery scripted bullshit so-called 'reality shows', then I would not lose a moment's sleep.

EXACTLY !!!!

I bought my bike off Drewbaby here on the boards he is in N. Mississippi and I in south TEXAS. Cost me like $285.00.

BTW You can specify weather you want your item in an enclosed trailer open truck bed open trailer ect.........

MY QUESTION IS.... what does a peoperly crated motor weigh ? researching cost to have a motor shipped to me, I want to build a rephased 750, and cant seem to find a decent priced engine here in South Texas.

A motor weighs something like 160 -- it is just enough to put you over the limit for UPS or FedEx standard ground service, which has a limit of 150 pounds.

How hard have you been looking for a motor, and what is a decent price? I have several, and they are pretty reasonable, in my opinion. PM me.

Over the years i have shipped many motors over 50 but in the last three years i have found that FEDEX FREIGHT is the best NO PROBLEM come to your home or shop.
UPS is 150lbs or less and UPS freight is way too much money. I have used USHIP twice and one bike got there with no problem and the other had damage. FEDEX you just crate it up and call them and they pick it up and gets there in one piece. Just make sure there is no oil or gas in motor and mark crate which way is up. I put two 2x4 under it when i make crate so a lift can get under it. Last motor i sent in 2012 was around $250.00. The only way you are getting it threw UPS is in two boxes with motor broke down but its almost the same money. I have had motors come to me and most of the time fins are damaged if its not in a wooden crate. If you ship a complete bike best place i have used is FOWARD AIR you take it there put it in there crate stap it down put your locks on and 20 bike never had a problem. The only thing is buyer has to pick up at there FORWARD AIR on there end. Shipped a HARLEY for $525.00 East cost to west coast.
GOOD LUCK

Back