shipping rant

Biil I think I know where that truck drive was working last week:
View attachment 156730

This picture was taken about one mile from my house! From the looks of that truck body he miscalculated by a bit more than a couple inches!

I think someones Amazon packages might have been late that day, and some might have lost their smile too!
View attachment 156732

28 years and 3 million miles without a chargeable accident. And I ran as hard and fast as any of them. I probably had a million close calls but never came close to topping out a trailer. I have deflated tires, driven miles out of my way, even unloaded construction equipment and driven it under the bridge before loading it back on the trailer on the other side of the bridge, but never have I understood how so many can forget how tall their rigs actually are.

And trucking companies don't fire them anymore.

And the driver in your picture was going uphill in the snow?????? How fast must he have been running to knock the whole box off?

And the driver in your picture was going uphill in the snow?????? How fast must he have been running to knock the whole box off?

Well that little underpass is at the bottom of a hill no matter which way you are going. Speed limit if that means anything to the guy driving is 45 mph.

We got those pictures from the electric meter reader who happened to stop by that day. As I recall he said the accident, if you can call it that, happened around 5:00AM.

I was 16 driving a 20' box truck, 4 speed with a 2 speed rear end, King Of The World LOL, On a rural state Highway about the last possible seconds realized it wasn't going under that stone railroad arch filling my windshield. Kept it more or less straight and stopped a few feet short of the disaster. Whew! It's now an at grade crossing.
Was similar to this one still in use on a town road about 3 miles from the one above.
192095-M.jpg

Last edited:
I was 16 driving a 20' box truck, 4 speed with a 2 speed rear end, King Of The World LOL, On a rural state Highway about the last possible seconds realized it wasn't going under that stone railroad arch filling my windshield. Kept it more or less straight and stopped a few feet short of the disaster. Whew! It's now an at grade crossing.
Was similar to this one still in use on a town road about 3 miles from the one above.
192095-M.jpg

I could have excused a 16 year old. Glad you made it.

There is this underpass /bridge in Durham..known as the "can opener bridge"..notoriusly bad..and no matter how much signage and warnings ..drivers still hit it..now they are going to raise it up...It even has its own webcam site...check out the footage on YouTube...
https://www.wral.com/durham-s-can-opener-bridge-being-raised/18712577/

I live in Greensboro and know that railroad bridge quite well. Used to go under it empty when flat-bedding with an old White Road Boss conventional but had to detour around when I had a load of lumber on. Also detoured several times when those before me failed to detour.

I wish I had a Road Boss like that today. It would make a great pick-up truck.
Road Boss.JPG

Good ol' USPS, Ebay package left Melbourne KY 4:17pm Apr. 23, arrived Cincinnati OH 4:12am Apr. 24...then just vanished. NINE days later it shows up in Detroit at 1:38pm, let's see how many weeks it takes to travel the 65 miles from Detroit to here!
:poo: service like that & they want the govt to bail them out because they're losing money...HA! eff 'em!

Package left the post office here in Durand MI on Mon. 5/4 headed for member Willis' place in IN. latest tracking info shows it arrived in Portland OR this morning…"Missed it by that much"! Complete and total incompetence in it's purist form.

Edit: Quick check on Google maps - only 2250 miles off target

Last edited:
Guess I shouldn't be surprised, 'bout 15yrs ago in my mailbox IN MICHIGAN was a Christmas card with a California address, kicker was the return address was also in California.

Partzilla is now using extra slow shipper. My last two orders took 2 to 3 weeks. I’ll try another vendor next time. The MikesXS group still ships fast. I hope it stays that way.

Made two orders from BikeBandit.com back on 4/21 and 4/22. Still not shipped. After several calls with each a 30 minute wait, guy said they are limited to 3 people in the warehouse due to Covid and they simply can't keep up with orders from all who are quarantined working on their bikes. They did say my parts are on one of the pallets, but who knows when they'll get to it. Definitely need to avoid West Coast businesses.

Everybody is shipping slow it seems. Placed an order on Home Depot, was supposed to be here a week ago. It finally shipped UPS, they sent it to the wrong state, wrong direction, it had to back track to the original location and start over! :mad: Still waiting.......

Package left the post office here in Durand MI on Mon. 5/4 headed for member Willis' place in IN. latest tracking info shows it arrived in Portland OR this morning…"Missed it by that much"! Complete and total incompetence in it's purist form.

Edit: Quick check on Google maps - only 2250 miles off target
Yeah I got a good laugh when I checked this today. Hopefully was just an error. No big deal since I’m not in a rush. I’d seen Beag’s previous battles with shipping. It’s all good. I mean it’s only a 180 mile trip

On a more positive note:
Ordered a front tire from Motorcycle Superstore (now merged with J&P). They had the best price I could find. Arrived in 36 hours.
I then ordered the matching rear tire. Still the best price I could find. Arrived in 36 hours.

Ordered a gallon of Rustolium Bedliner from Walmart. They stock it in the local store but I needed to bump up the price of some other items they don't stock in order to get free shipping. Besides, there's still too much pollen in the air to paint outdoors so the wait isn't a problem.

When it didn't arrive on Monday as it was supposed to I became concerned, started checking FedEx Tracking which indicated it had been on the local delivery truck for 2 days. On Wednesday an old friend I haven't heard from in years called to inform he he had seen my package as well as lots of others fall out the back of a FedEx truck about 5 miles from where I live. He brought me what was left of the paint then went on to deliver the other packages.

I called Walmart and was told the truck had a flat tire.

Having spent much of my life in trucking I always knew that customer service representatives just make up excuses.

I just made a Walmart order and got a shipping date. It's going to be awhile. I credit their honesty. I ordered some OEM Ford parts. I paid hefty shipping for that. They said two weeks, but delivered in three days. Amazon comes here sometimes three times in a day. How do they make money? Partzilla sends me notice that they shipped and I get a UPS or FedEx tracking number. After a week or more, UPS/FedEx claim possession. The package makes it's way to the post office where it is obviously low priority. Then the garbage man leaves the can part way lying in the driveway, and the mail carrier isn't going to touch it or walk down my driveway. Next day nothing. So, I have to go to the Post Office to get my package. No thanks, Partzilla. The last two orders took over two weeks. The first was before C-19. Just use FedEx, UPS, or Priority Mail. I'll pay.

The saga continues. The short little 180 trip from MI to northern IN has now gone from Portland, OR to Metro NY. It’s going round the country seeing all the sights. Next stop is probably Texas. :shrug:

Back