Shipping Re-phase Parts to Hugh's Handbuilt

alwaysmonday

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This may seem like an overly simple topic to make a post about but trust me, if you do it wrong there is some serious money to be lost! I just received my crank and cam back from Hugh and since I spent some extra $$$ because I of my inexperience with shipping 30lbs of parts in a USPS box, I figured I would give you future re-phase customers a helping hand by showing you how Hugh's (the Experts) packages the parts they ship every week.

I received by Re-phase yesterday evening and unboxed if after the daughters went to bed and everything looks great and made the return journey home without any damage! The following is how you should put yours together before departing ways at your favorite shipping location.

_DSC2842_zpsabc91053.jpg

First wrap up the crank and the cam separately so they don't damage one another bouncing around in transit
_DSC2839_zpsfadffabf.jpg

Make sure you remember to put a small piece of cardboard around the cam chain sprocket to keep the inner bearing races away from one another and to prevent damage to races and the sprocket.
_DSC2838_zpsd4c3ae5a.jpg

Now wrap it up tight and don't skimp on the tape!
_DSC2836_zpsfcdf2d21.jpg

_DSC2835_zpsa67d5713.jpg

_DSC2834_zps324f9358.jpg

Now that you have that done, find the rest of the cardboard you have in the house and get creative with a utility knife. This is the part I didn't do well enough!! Fill 90% of the remaining voids in the box with cut pieces of cardboard and build a support network for your heavy friends.
_DSC2832_zps27847900.jpg

Stuff, stuff, stuff bubble wrap in the remaining voids.
_DSC2831_zps3c850029.jpg

Reinforce the top of the box one more time with... wait for it... you guessed it, MORE CARDBOARD!
_DSC2830_zps34612dfd.jpg

Tape it up with lots of tape and get it shipped!
_DSC2824_zps49ad5039.jpg
_DSC2829_zpsbb3b25f8.jpg

Jon

You had me concerned for a second! I made a trip out to the garage to make sure my memory served me correctly. I found the bearing race in my parts bin. I took it off before I shipped it to Hugh so it wouldn't get lost in the shuffle.

Jon

Back