shocks longer or shorter?

pahako

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm working on my first 650 and was looking for some advice. I have read that longer shocks improve handling. If that is true, would shorter ones make handling worse. I would like to lower my 81 special 1-2 inches just to get my feet down a little flatter, and was wondering if going to an 11 inch shock would do it. Also how does shortening the fork springs effect handling?

Thanks

Any change in springs or shocks will effect handling. How it is effected depends on lots of factors including but not limited to shock or spring height. Just don't cut anything in case your changes are for the worse.

Longer shocks, dropping the forks in the triples or a smaller diameter front tire all change the steering to make it lighter and faster.

It should be easy to visualise your XS from the side. If the back end is raised, the front end lowered, or both, the bike now has a forward rake. The forks are at a steeper angle (straighter to vertical) and the trail has been lessened. This is what makes a modern bike turn quicker.

Better handling? I think so but it depends on what you feel is good handling. If a quick ride down a twisty road or manuverability through down town traffic is your goal, then yes. If truck like stability down the freeway with worn swingarm bushings is what you want, then no.

Tom Graham

As a friend and fellow rider I know says every time we seek to make a change, "Every solution creates its own set of problems. Raising the rear and lowering the front will make handling better on crooked roads. Lowering the rear and stretching the front will make handling better on the interstate.

I think you'll find that stock configurations with upgrades like bronze swingarm bushings, new neck bearings and adjustable gas filled shocks/forks are best at doing both.

Now decide where you want your bike to handle best.

Thanks for the reply guys. I have the bronze bushings, but have not installed them yet. I plan to replace the steering bearings also. Will just replacing those make a difference in handling, or will the shocks and springs need to be replaced too? I can live with the height of the bike the way it is, but would like it to handle as good as possible.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Bill,

I don't think my XS is really a very good example of a well set up bike but I once hit 100mph with me sitting bolt upright. I have 36" flattrack bars so to really do ton up runs I grab the fork leg and lie on the tank just like the milers. I have longer shocks and the forks dropped about 1/2" with no stability problems. I weigh about 150 so my weight isn't keeping the bike stabile.

Tom

Last edited:
Back