"Short" first gear

savage454

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Okay, I did some searching and didn't find much in the way of an answer. I'm still dialing in my '75 and it shifts fine, I have no problems finding N rolling or stopped, but it seems like my first gear is "short." What I mean by this is from a stop I shift into first and it seems to be SCREAMING for me to put it into second but I'm not even into the power-band or even through the stop light for that matter. It just seams awful short. The rest of the gears seam fine and on the expressway it does 65/70 at about 4500rpm.

I have pod's and a 2 into one open exhaust with a "lollipop" baffle, and I'm jetted for this set up. My only problem I can think of (I'm prob. gonna get some sh%t for this) is the right hand float. It had sprung about a thousand leaks and I couldn't get it to solder without leaking somewhere Sooooo I improvised. I went into the house and ordered a new float and then (this is my only vehicle right now) popped the floats off of the "backbone" where the tang is and re-soldered on the floats from an xs400. The floats were a little smaller in circumference which I made up for with two days of adjusting the tang to get proper adjustment for gas in my bowls. Is a fuel issue anything to do with this?

This is my only real issue left, well except for the whole wrong float thing.

First gear is geared very low, that's normal...................just gets you rolling,then into second.

I originally had a 36 rear sprocket, and that was a real stump puller...................first was extremely geared low. I changed to a 33 rear and first is now much better, as is fifth gear on the highway. Some guys like to use 30 to 32 also, which would give more speed in first.

No, floats have no relation to gearing.

Back