Shorter sidestand?

katmol

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've lowered the shocks on my '75 XS so now the sidestand is a hair to long and makes the bike stand more upright than I feel safe with. Is there a different year model sidestand I can use to give it more angle.

Thanks.

To give my road bike more lean on the stand I increased the curve of the sidestand in a press. It bent easily and has not increased under the weight of the bike. Be careful removing the spring it has a lot of pressure on it.

Just went through the same issue myself and I cut and rewelded but ran into return spring complications. For now I carry a zip tie and break/replace the zip tie every time I use it haha. I think I am going to try using a drum brake shoe spring as a return spring after I weld a mounting point on the stand for it

put rebel shocks on and found same problem ,cut about 1 inch out about 1/2 way up stand and rewelded ,worked fine except had to extend the tang (ie.bit you hook your boot on to push down) and the stand also didn't fit snuggly under frame but rode on top of frame but otherwise worked well (this was on a stock 447 frame)

I've lowered the shocks on my '75 XS so now the sidestand is a hair to long and makes the bike stand more upright than I feel safe with. Is there a different year model sidestand I can use to give it more angle.
Thanks.
Hi katmol,
it'll be difficult to find a shorter sidestand that has the exact same mounting configuration as the stock stand.
Best that you bend the one you have.
Remove, heat the bend area cherry red and bend as needed.
Let it cool to black, quench, wipe dry and fizz it with rubberized undercoat.
Tip on reassembly:- Put the return spring on FIRST, then reef the stand fully into place and replace the pivot bolt.

Back