Sidestand Relay Elimination XS650SK

Remove the relay and you break that R/W wire connection, so a jumper must be added.
So, if I understand you correctly, all I have to do is remove the clutch relay and connect the R/W wires together and I have a pre 1981 bike, ready to roll. Thank you all. I have lots of irons in the fire and I still hope to spend this weekend on the bike.

Yes, remove the switch from the clutch lever (and unplug from inside the headlight), remove the relay, and jumper the two R/W wires together that run into the relay plug .....

qO7iCqh.jpg

bJwJB3o.jpg

7kVPN4p.jpg

For the sidestand relay, simply remove the relay and sidestand switch .....

Sp7Ct9O.jpg

6a0usoz.jpg

I've been running my '83 like this for several years now with no ill effects. It works just like the '80 and older models before the safety switches came along. Starts any time, in neutral or not, clutch pulled in or not. Granted, it will lurch forward if you try to start it in gear without the clutch pulled in, but all bikes used to be like that.

Yes, remove the switch from the clutch lever (and unplug from inside the headlight), remove the relay, and jumper the two R/W wires together that run into the relay plug .....

qO7iCqh.jpg

bJwJB3o.jpg

7kVPN4p.jpg

For the sidestand relay, simply remove the relay and sidestand switch .....

Sp7Ct9O.jpg

6a0usoz.jpg

I've been running my '83 like this for several years now with no ill effects. It works just like the '80 and older models before the safety switches came along. Starts any time, in neutral or not, clutch pulled in or not. Granted, it will lurch forward if you try to start it in gear without the clutch pulled in, but all bikes used to be like that.
I love it! Thanks!

Skull mentioned a few posts back that he thought the wiring diagram was wrong regarding the black ground wire coming out of the clutch switch and running to the L/Y wire instead of a black ground wire. I thought the same thing when I first looked at it, but I discovered it is correct when I tried using the black wire in the headlight clutch switch plug as a ground for my voltmeter. The meter only worked with the bike in neutral, drop it in gear and the meter went out, lol. Apparently, that black clutch switch wire is only connected to ground when either the neutral switch or the sidestand switch are enabled.

Back