Should I buy a PAMCO?

stevoman88

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
So recently my advance unit broke as the nut was not tightened all the way down. As I have found out an advance unit is hard to come by. Is another alternative to switch to a PAMCO kit? And this gets rid of the points is my understanding. 1974 xs650, PMA kit, bobbed out, all new wiring and plugs. Also are these difficult to install? At this point I just want to get back on the road!!!! Please provide a link and part number.
THANKS GUYS!!!
Steve

If you want the Pamco, I like mine, Mike's XS has kits. The least expencive is the #14-0902 $219. This has the advancer and the coil has the plug wires moulded in, not replacable. I might suggest getting one the next step up. The #14-0912, it has the ultimate coil with replaceable plug wires.
On a coil with plug wires moulded in you have to replace the coil if a plug wire goes bad.
They have sets that run higher but I don't think they are worth the extra cost just to get a set of plugs. The $27 difference is more than buying the same plugs locally at about $7 each.
Leo

stevoman, a pamco ignition will replace the points that are currently on your bike. you will still need the advance mech for the pamco though. the pamco kit I would recommend is this one

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/14-0912.html

this is what i am running on my bike. they are really easy to install and virtually a set and forget deal. with this kit you will possibly have un-needed parts since you already had points but it may not be a bad idea to replace them with the new parts anyway. if there was no damage done to the advance rod, bushings etc. then it would be less expensive to replace the advance mech with the one from yambits i gave you the link to. my vote would be to convert to the pamco and go ahead and replace the old components with the new ones in the above kit. you will not be disappointed with the pamco system.

Almost forgot, yes, it's an easy install. www.yamahaxs650.com has very clear instruction on the install of the Pamco and the coil.
Maybe an hour to install and once set up right you never have to adjust it.
Leo

I just replaced mine with one from mike's because the weights were beyond fixing. If all you need is the plate, then I have one for you. Yes, you should buy a Pamco, regardless.

Well are the weights interchangeable? My weights should be good. Although the part that holds the weights on is damaged..... Maybe I should just buy pamco...... Do you have to do timing with pamco? I guess I'm just worried about install....

Go read the instructions at the web site I mentioned. Do this now before you decide what you do.
Leo

i would say the hardest part about the install is figuring out where to mount the coil, the wiring and timing are easy as hell.

Back