Should I buy a tx 750

fine69

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new here. I wanted to seek out advice here on a tx 750. I have read about them some and know of the oil starvation problem. I understand it was solved but the reputation could not be saved. This bike is a few hours away from me and might could be gotten for less than the $250.00 asking price. Are many engine parts and other stuff interchangeable with the 650. I know parts for a 650 would be much easier to come by. The bike was supposed to be very smooth and had a lot of breakthrough features such as the double front brake and a brake pad indicator light. Ideas guys? What year is this one. I know the problem was solved in the final year.
5Y05O25P23k33pf3lebc4aabe5bbca21b1c.jpg

5Z15T05X63kb3m53pfbc4b1d60fc5d54e19.jpg

5Y35T65W23kd3oc3labc432edd6c20d541d.jpg

Assuming as well with the desirable swing arm, wheels etc this bike can make money parted out. It would be a shame as it seems complete.

I would not have one - xs650 is the bike that all the aftermarket goodies are available for - what can you get for the tx750..?? oiling problems etc would scare most people away. But if you want something different than an xs650...its cheap enough - parting it out might be a good $$ earner or onsell it to a diehard fan.

This one is a '73. The '74s were rootbeer brown. Yamaha did alot of recalls on the '73 models. This one may have been retofitted with the deep sum. Could explain why it still looks to be in rideable condition. As for parting out, I know the pistons and cylinder liners are in big demand in Austrialia. The pistons fit the con rods of early XS650s. The swing arm and rear drum are also popular, as they are good upgrades over the 650 stuff and will bolt right on.
I just sold a '74 I had listed here, and was contacted by several Aussies on the board to part out. Offered good money plus shipping. They can't import a whole bike because taxing is through the roof. So they get around it by buying parts.
I opted out of making money and sold mine to a restorer that needed mine for restoring his. Wasn't worth the time and effort to tear it all apart, then have an incomplete pile of parts to dispose of.

What I like about the TX.
The swingarm, wheels, clutch pack, valves, valve springs, cam chain plunger, carbs and handle bars(that hide the wiring) can be used on the XS650.
If swapping the swingarm to a xs special the brake pivot works better than flattening the specials. The tail light fixture is a direct swap for the standards. The short stem turn signals on the rear make good replacements if you don't like the longer front ones on the XS.

It's worth it just for the sissy bar!
Unless you are into restoration let it go. I agree it looks good and complete enough to be a shame to part it out. But they are WAY too much of a project to become a daily rider. I had one back in the day never ran for me but the guy I sold it to got it going.
From a Cycle world article a LONG time ago;
The TX750 by Yamaha
was smooth and slick as a bananaha
counter weights revolved hard
on chain by the yard
And oil leaked thither and Yonaha.

The story is that engine is the reason Yamaha developed Yamabond.
It is just an arcane little backwater of Early Yamaha history best left to someone who wants one in his collection, not to ride it. IMHO of course.

Say what?
The bike was a poor runner and deserves the labels it has earned.
All the more reason to part it out and use the bits and pieces on a bike that also
deserves the labels it has earned. The XS650.
The sum of the parts is worth more than the whole.
gggGary if that style sissy bar attracts your fancy.
I have one off a 77 that may work for your restore.
I didn't realize it's value till you posted.

The story I heard on these bikes is the early models had a crankshaft oiling problem (or lack there of) which caused them to lunch the cranks in no time. The rolling chassis I was given came from an eBay bike that the guy bought for just the motor so he could restore his dad's 750 which had, yes you guessed it, a bad crank.

I took it for the wheels but then discovered the swingarm swap. I should have kept my mouth shut about it, lol, because now the word is out and swingarms go for as much as $100 on eBay.

They sure do swap, I have the rear wheel and swing arm from one on a 77 XS650
Swing arm is a bit bigger tube size (stronger) and the brake drum is a bigger diameter. It's bolt on. I hesitated to drag that in because the pictured bike looks like it could be a runner again.......

That 750 that I got my parts from was so low mileage that the plastic swingarm bushings were still like new (I'm still runnin' them) and the rear brake shoes weren't even bedded in yet. It took a couple seasons and several thousand miles but just last summer, that rear brake really started to bite, finally bedding in.

The bike was popular at first but soon reliability problems began to emerge and the problems lay with the Omni-Phase balancer: At high rpm the balance weights would whip oil in the sump into a froth, aerating the oil and starving the crank for lubrication which resulted in bearing failure.

In addition, the balance chain would stretch, resulting with the counterweights being out of phase and making the engine run rough. Although Yamaha quickly repaired the problems, including a deeper sump and an adjustable balance chain, sales fell and the TX750 became synonymous with poor design and reliability. The 1974 Model was extensively modified with a revised sump and does not suffer from reliability issues.

I would buy a 74 if a runner came along at the right price....The KLR650 suffers from the a similar problem. Tensioner spring for the balancer chain breaks, chain stretches, then it vibrates more and gets noisy and will eventually throw the chain or break it.

That and the TX500 is why they changed the TX to XS on the 650's. Hoping the bad rep wouldn't effect the 650's.
Buy the bike, build a 750 from a 650 engine and put it in that bike.
Then you can have a good TX750.
Leo

Thanks for the input. I looked and its still there unless they sold it and didn't pull the post. Ideas, Ideas:doh:? If I get the extra $ I think I will pursue it, don't see much in that shape for the $. I can store it and think about it later. An XS 650 motor will not bolt onto that frame correct? And I realize from you guys it will be one of the few investments I have been involved in that I might actually make a little money on if I decide to part it. I don't have a rider except for vintage enduro's so I need something easy and quick to fix cheap. Saw a few other virago's and 3 banger late 70's early 80's fixer uppers for under 500. Keep posting, I am soaking the info:wink2:

I don't have a rider except for vintage enduro's so I need something easy and quick to fix cheap. :wink2:

Are you sure you read the replies?
Weirdo one or two year only bikes are not the hot tip for quick easy and cheap.
You want a bike that will return a thousand hits when you search ebay. Maxims or other 80s yamahas might be a good choice. The Viragos had starter issues that are an easy fix. That often is the ideal; an otherwise decent bike with a well documented easy to fix flaw. Not a bike with a fatal design error deep inside the engine. I avoid Honda Nighthawks like the plague for that reason They are great bikes but several models have a chain driven alternator and starter. The chain stretches and the guides go to hell, the engine cases have to be split to fix it. IE the bike is scrap. The first thing I do when I see a hot deal on craigslist is google "butt buster 1200" problem and see what the issues are and if they can be repaired at a reasonable time and cost. Just bought a Dakota pick up that way, the idle was horrible, felt like it was missing a cylinder or two but it ran fine under power. The guy had tried bunch of stuff that didn't fix it. Bought the truck, spent an hour removing and cleaning the idle speed control valve, she runs like a swiss watch now.

Yes I understand what you are saying on the tx. I am up for lots more advice on a good solid bike platform. I like the original 350 four and how about the Yamaha triples?

The 850 is the better triple, the 750 had issues. Neither really interest me, but you might as well go for the improved model.

Back