Should I buy this custom roller???

Milk_Jesus

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've been talking back and forth with a guy from Sanford, FL (about 3 hours north of me) about all the xs650 stuff he gets from different salvagers among other places. He's got a great running engine for sale for $500 and this roller (which I believe he wants $595 for). I got screwed out of my xs650 frame so I am in need of one. I'm trying to decide whether I want to buy this roller, the running engine or a bare frame to get ready for an engine later down the road...This seems like a good deal, but I wanted to throw it up here for you guys to check out!

What do you think?

312227_2541249093211_1313212912_3009010_304823348_n.jpg

At that rate you are $1100 into something you still need to build.
Fenders, tank(scratch that if the tank stays),lights, long chain, chain roller, etc.

Does the roller come with good paper? What is the material and who welded it?
Have the neck bearings been swapped? Does it have the mounting bolts?
Things I would want to know.

IMO the price is too high for both items.

At that rate you are $1100 into something you still need to build.
Fenders, tank(scratch that if the tank stays),lights, long chain, chain roller, etc.

Does the roller come with good paper? What is the material and who welded it?
Have the neck bearings been swapped? Does it have the mounting bolts?
Things I would want to know.

IMO the price is too high for both items.

I'm leaning more towards buying just a bare frame from the guy (hopefully for a reasonable price) and doing what I want to it. Maybe in a couple months going back to him for an engine. Haven't gotten any specifics on the frames he has available yet, though.

Here is a local (4 me) CL ad. About an average deal around here for what it is.
http://springfield.craigslist.org/mcy/2648758845.html
Compare what you get and the costs to finish, against what you are finding in your area.
In fact you could/should broaden your CL search just to kinda see what's what.
$500 for a motor better have machinist and parts receipts with it.

Here is a local (4 me) CL ad. About an average deal around here for what it is.
http://springfield.craigslist.org/mcy/2648758845.html
Compare what you get and the costs to finish, against what you are finding in your area.
In fact you could/should broaden your CL search just to kinda see what's what.
$500 for a motor better have machinist and parts receipts with it.

I see those kinds of sales here in Florida too. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to spend that much at once on a bike (that isn't really a necessity vs. bills, etc...). I did think $500 was high, which is why I wanted to check here, first. Gonna go with a bare frame for now...

I don't think that's bad at all considering the hardtail has been done already. As long as it comes with a title I'd buy it.

Cost of titled frame and then hardtail it with that dirtbike frontend ( can't see what it is in picture?) would cost more then asking price to piece together your self. If it's welded up well then I would give it a big :thumbsup:

read the ad. guy wants 2200.
some states want the engine number to match the frame number. if they match, and the guy can get it to run on a stand or sumthing, go fer it.

angus he started at 2800, 2400, then 2200 (like it says in the ad) and now like the ad is titled it is at 1800.
A buddy has been following this and said someone posted an alert about the bike?
I tried searching and don't get anything to pop up. Is there a special way to search for alerts on craigslist?

angus he started at 2800, 2400, then 2200 (like it says in the ad) and now like the ad is titled it is at 1800.
A buddy has been following this and said someone posted an alert about the bike?
I tried searching and don't get anything to pop up. Is there a special way to search for alerts on craigslist?

"The only thing the bike needs is the rear brake hooked up, the high beam wired and the paint on the rear fender fixed (has a gouge) have extra paint to go with the bike Also, the regulator has failed and needs a new one, they run approx 30.00 on ebay"

Sounds a bit dubious, there. What else will he reveal when you go see the bike in person?

I'd snag the roller if, as others have said, the welds are good. Motor? You can find a running motor for less than 300 if you're patient.

ZXI say pass and save up some cash. I just picked up my project which is a 76 xs650. It came with a good title, matching #s frame and motor, a sportster tank, TC Bros hardtail already installed, neck bearing upgraded to tapered bearings etc. I live about 10 minutes from sanford and if its the shop I think your talking about he seems to be on the high side of things. Granted he's running a business but there are better deals if you're patient. I found my bike near Lakeland but it was worth the 90 minute ride.

Last edited:
I say pass and save up some cash. I just picked up my project which is a 76 xs650 for $700. It came with a good title, matching #s frame and motor, a sportster tank, TC Bros hardtail already installed, neck bearing upgraded to tapered bearings etc. I live about 10 minutes from sanford and if its the shop I think your talking about he seems to be on the high side of things. Granted he's running a business but there are better deals if you're patient. I found my bike near Lakeland but it was worth the 90 minute ride.

it's jack's cycles. that's a hell of a deal. on craigslist?

Yeah, that's where I was thinking that stuff is. He's got a bunch of stuff an if you really needed something its a great place to find it. but yeah I found my bike on craigslist. I always find the best deals looking at the smaller cities around the big areas. The one I found was posted only under lakeland and didn't show on either Tampa or Orlando even tough its a short distance in between. If you use searchtempest it'll let you search a radius around your zip code which is a lot quicker than having to click each city one at a time. If I come across something I'll give you a heads up.

Yeah, that's where I was thinking that stuff is. He's got a bunch of stuff an if you really needed something its a great place to find it. but yeah I found my bike on craigslist. I always find the best deals looking at the smaller cities around the big areas. The one I found was posted only under lakeland and didn't show on either Tampa or Orlando even tough its a short distance in between. If you use searchtempest it'll let you search a radius around your zip code which is a lot quicker than having to click each city one at a time. If I come across something I'll give you a heads up.

much appreciated! just got off the phone with scott from jack's cycles and he's got some frames coming in soon so i'll probably pick one up from him, depending on what he wants for them. thanks for the help!

I say pass and save up some cash. I just picked up my project which is a 76 xs650 for $700. It came with a good title, matching #s frame and motor, a sportster tank, TC Bros hardtail already installed, neck bearing upgraded to tapered bearings etc. I live about 10 minutes from sanford and if its the shop I think your talking about he seems to be on the high side of things. Granted he's running a business but there are better deals if you're patient. I found my bike near Lakeland but it was worth the 90 minute ride.

wow that's a very good deal actually. I bought my 74 with none of that stuff but had a boyer electronic ign, coil, and a box of after market parts for 1k. Although i live in college city where motorcycles are popular and can hardly find super cheap deals

Back