Show Me Your Gears

ReycleBill
You won't be dissappointed with the 17/32. I come in at 230 if I miss a couple of meals and like the off the line pull better than the stock.

mrriggs
I have several 40's one or two in good shape (I think) if you want them.

jayel
I haven't thought of TT in awhile. Yeah, John and he didn't mince words sometimes.
But then John and Grizld1 had different opinions on what crusing RPMs should be to.
Makes me want to haul a motor in and rebuild it on the coffee table to think of John.
Maybe run some engine covers through the little brides dishwasher.

My 650 is hardtailed and stretched 8 inches and has stock sprockets and only does about 55-60. What would be good sprockets so i could cruise at 85?

17 front 34 rear

Ain't the sprockets. Best to start from the begining, valve timing, ignition timing, advance mechanism, carbs etc.

Edit: Saw your bike pix that 2 into nothing exhaust prolly aint helping. Where in So. Jersey?

Last edited:
I have one set up with a 17 up front and a 42 on the rear. Gets me 7200 rpms in 4th then the 1/8th mile is over. Planning on trying a 14 on the motor to see if some 5th helps the hole shot and ET. Not recommended by the EPA or highway department though.

I have one set up with a 17 up front and a 42 on the rear. Gets me 7200 rpms in 4th then the 1/8th mile is over. Planning on trying a 14 on the motor to see if some 5th helps the hole shot and ET. Not recommended by the EPA or highway department though.
when i got my engine , it had a 15 drive sprocket on it. stock is 17. do you suppose po was racing it?
heres what came out of it for the rebuild.
onefeduppiston-vi.jpg

I didnt realize how these motors whind out like they do. I thought i was decently up in the rpms until someone told me just keeping pulling on the throttle. My bike has plentt more in it and ill have to re check the speed next to a buddy. And Ed we can meet up at buffalo wild wings. My brother has a 500 all hardtailed and done we can meet go for a ride

i dont think a hole was burned in it. it looks like the circlip came out, and the pin walked over to the cylinder wall, and gave it a big sexy hug. now its got 1.50 over pistons, and a decked head, compression check shows 155. some one here says it a 680 now. its alot tougher to kick than my buds stock 650.

I'm running 17/30, which I did in an effort to lower RPM on the highway to kill the buzz. With the stock engine it was fine around town.

Now with the 750cc/rephased/ported head/titanium valved/Shell #1 (MrRiggs) cam engine, it's plenty fast off the line. Pretty sure I could easily lift the Suzuki 4LS front wheel off the ground no problem. I'm also running the taller 5th gear now, so on the highway it's pretty smooth up to 70. But clipons, rearsets and no seat padding still make for a less than comfortable experience on longer highway runs (i.e. 15 minutes).

Back