show me your replaced / relocated fuse block

danno

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I recently purchased an ATC type fuse block to replace the stock POS block on my 1981 650 Special. The bike is stock, and has the stock wiring harness. I am having a tough time trying to figure out where to mount the new fuse block, as it is taller than the stock block, and won't clear the seat pan. If I could find a battery that was 3/4" shorter, I could mount the new block in the stock location. I would like to retain the electric starting function. Any pics of relocated fuse blocks on stock XS650s would be most appreciated.

danno,

It is difficult to find a replacement fuse block that will fit exactly where the factory fuse block is. Most people just rip out the factory fuse block and replace it with individual inline fuses.

I went a step further and installed an inline fuse holder for the main fuse under the right side air filter cover where it is on earlier models. There is even a convenient bullet disconnect there to make it a plug and play installation. I bypassed the main fuse position for the fuse block.

Next I combined the headlight and signaling system (horn, turn signals, brake light, neutral light) together and installed a 15 amp inline fuse for them.

Those two changes left only two fuses under the seat. The ignition fuse and the combined headlight signal systems fuse.

The really strange omission by Yamaha for fuses is that there is no separate fuse for the tail light and license plate light, and they are one of the most prone circuits to shorting. When they short, it blows the main 20 Amp fuse and the whole bike shuts down, so I installed an additional inline fuse for the tail light under the seat.

Last edited:
The really strange omission by Yamaha for fuses is that there is no separate fuse for the tail light and license plate light, and they are one of the most prone circuits to shorting. When they short, it blows the main 20 Amp fuse and the whole bike shuts down, so I installed an additional inline fuse for the tail light under the seat.

Not to commandeer this thread, but this is a good point. I have been there and got that tee shirt about two years ago when I crossed the wires on my new brake/tail light unit. I have not rectified that configuration yet, but I'd sure like to if I knew how to do it!

Auto stores sell a 4 glass fuse holder that fits right in the stock fuse box no big deal to install and pretty close to stock. Someone mentioned Mikes sells an exact fit replacement but I have not used one.

After my '81's fuse holders began to fall apart, I replaced the block with a 4-fuse block I found at Radio Snack. It was a close enough fit where I was able to locate it where the original was. I would lay a piece of cut inner tube over the top just to make sure it didn't short out on the underside of the seat.

And then MikesXS came out with replacements for the original fuse block. So I bought one and tossed the Radio Snack block. Fortunately, I had left all the original wiring in place, so it wasn't a probem fitting up the new one. That was a couple years ago, and I haven't looked back.

Danno, Here's how I mounted mine.

Attachments

• LostFile_JPG_65100440.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_65100440.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 469
XSLeo, your setup is basically what I had in mind, but I don't have room due to the retention of the stock airbox. Another thought I had is to rotate the reserve lighting module 90 degrees, and locate the the fuse block next to it. I want to stay away from the glass fuses because I have found them to be very problematic.

Back