side casing oil filter

xskev

XS650 Member
Reaction score
should there be a washer located inside the threaded part for the large hexagon retaining bolt to screw up against?.it's not shown in the exploded view diagram page in the haynes manual.i'm wondering if the P.O put it there.

you mean the bolt that has the pressure release in it, and holds the oil filter in? No, there's no washer there. And it should be bolted in just snug, not deforming the oil filter.

Welcome xskev
Love your tracker by the way :thumbsup:
There is no washer shown in the parts book either
Have a look here for an online version

Cheers Kev

yes,thats the bolt i'm talking about but the washer is in the threaded hole so the bolt end screws up against it.the washer dosen't fit on the bolt.thanks for the compliments on my bike :)

no,if i look inside the threaded hole where the retaining bolt screws into there is a washer sitting against the back wall.don't tell me thats been floating about inside the motor!!!!!.maybe thats why oil has been leaking out between the gasket and casing cover as the bolt has not been getting screwed in all the way home.i wonder where the washer has come from then?.

Uh, yeah. Okay that's wrong. <shudder>

I ran into my own fun thing last night - on the clutch pushrod there are three ball bearings (for the two piece ones, anyway), and it sort of looks like

<push lever> () ==== () ==== () <clutch>
where the ()'s are the ballbearings, and the ==='s are the rods.

This is how it looked in my engine:
<push lever>===()()===()<clutch>

Yes, two ball bearings in the motor, none on the push lever. I bet that was a bear to pull the clutch on.

Back