side mount plate laws

bsimmons

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
so yesterday i was pulled of for the first time ever on my bike and reason being was because my plates weren't mounted left to right it vertical ive been looking everywhere in ohio laws about it but cant find where it says you cant if anyone know or has also had this problem let me know thanks

Illinois, same thing. I had a cop follow me for 10 miles and then into the gas station. He's pumping gas next to me as I'm filling up and says, "I was gonna pull you over because of your plate." I looked down and tugged on it and said "It's not falling off, what's the matter?" He informed me that it's improperly displayed because it's not horizontal and he could write me a ticket. I played dumb like "oh, really, I had no idea." I knew. I just don't go riding around that city much anymore. Sometimes it depends on how bored the cop is or if he thinks a stop will turn up other things..

It's spelled out in some states that the plate must be able to be read from a distance of 100 feet at night, without aid. Usually under the lighting statutes, but some specify that the plate be oriented with the characters normal to the road surface. Many states have amended thier statutes just because of the sideways plate fad.

i see alot of utility trailers around my part with vertical plates riveted to the fenders, no lights on them, also.
I bet they dont get pulled over.
Mines horizontal, but I hate how far it sticks out. I always hit my left heel on it when pushing my bike around.
At least Im in a state that has small plates. Euro plates are huge!!

i see alot of utility trailers around my part with vertical plates riveted to the fenders, no lights on them, also.
I bet they dont get pulled over.
Mines horizontal, but I hate how far it sticks out. I always hit my left heel on it when pushing my bike around.
At least Im in a state that has small plates. Euro plates are huge!!
Tuck it up behind and under the seat on the rear fender :laugh:

Cops don't care about utility trailers. It is the outlaw bikers with the loud pipes. And the side ways tags that piss them off.
Lack of donuts ....(insert Homer Simpson drool noise here).

In Minnesota we can get these.

Attachments

• Vertical_Motorcycle.jpg
    Vertical_Motorcycle.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 110
Cop fodder. I knew there was a state or 2 with vertical plates available.

Attachments

• homer.jpg
    homer.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 105
  • clown bike.jpg
    clown bike.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 137
I got pulled over once cuz my plate was bent a little not to much it was cuz of we're it sat on the bike under the tail light the cop was a massive ass hole about it

In NY the plate has to be visible from both sides at a 45 degree angle. So mounting it down on one side either veticle or horizontal is illegal. Yea, it has to have a white light shining on it too.
Leo

I recently found out about this law in Illionis and am currently looking for a mount that does not look like total crap!

South Dakota has to be mounted horizontal. I have a hiway patrol friend that told me that they dont inforce it that much because of the Sturgis rally and all the money it brings into the state.

Back