Side stand under pipe

mikesim

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 78 Special that I just purchased and I can't see the side stand tang when I park. I can feel it with my toe but when I try to deploy it, my leg his the footpeg and the side stand snaps back into the parked position. Anyone else deal with this issue? The pipes appear to be stock as does the side stand.

The side stand and tang are often bent, the pivot is worn, lacking lube, and a rubber cushion goes missing, Then they tend to catch/hang up and your foot slips off. Start with basic maintenance.

tttThanks for the reply, gggGary! I just brought it home this afternoon so I will take a closer look.

Mike

I looked under the bike, but nothing seemed bent, the exhaust is OE since it has the crossover tube. The "foot" of the side stand hits the underside of the engine when retracted. I am going to look around for another one and see what it looks like.

a 79 special with non stock exhaust.
DSCN9747.JPG DSCN9745.JPG DSCN9746.JPG

I read the link that you included. Thanks for the help. Mine does have about 1-1/2" of play at the end of the upward travel. The spring does not hold it firmly against the bottom of the case. Curiously, the foot of the sidestand whacks the underside of the crankcase when retracted. Usually typical Japanese thoroughness would have placed a rubber bump stop either on the case itself or on the sidestand so it doesn't whack the case. My work around for now is to hop off the bike and then deploy the sidestand, but I would like to eventually come up with a fix so that I can deploy the stand while straddling the bike.... like God intended.

Mike

You're missing the rubber bumper on your tang as shown in Gary's middle pic. You're right, the stand isn't supposed to hit the bottom of the engine like yours is doing, that missing rubber bumper would prevent that. I've had to "re-work" (re-bend) many of the tangs on these. The stand I'm using on my '78 actually had no tang at all (broken off), I had to build one. I positioned it bent a bit farther forward in the up position so it would hit on the frame mount for the head pipes. I put a length of fuel line on it (easily replaceable) for a bumper .....

ysS4Ymj.jpg

31ysg5c.jpg

And while you've got the stand off and are fooling with it, it's a good idea to add a grease fitting to the pivot area. It'll work oh so smoothly if kept well greased .....

y6VgFrh.jpg

hoyExtC.jpg

Back