1.5" of play on kickstand post

Smeggy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
It's not adversely affecting my life, but after years of kick starting the bike while on the sidestand, the surfaces have worn enough so the tip of the arm has 1.5" of play. The wear is slightly concave on both surfaces. Anyone any ideas how to tighten this up? I'm trying to shape a couple of copper rings to fill the gaps but there must be a better way or better material????
p3.JPG
p4.JPG
p5.JPG
p1.JPG
p2.JPG

I took the "cheap way" out and reduced play by about the same 1.5" you have down to about 0.5" by eBay'ing a less worn stand.

Beyond that, I'd recommend the "weld n' grind" route that mrtwowheel recommended.

Don't you have a centerstand? I always kick mine on the centerstand, it's easier and no worn sidestand worries.

5twins - yes, I agree. But there's a long story... when I bought my bike 1985/1984 it didn't have a centre stand. So I bought one off the local bike breaker - who was a c*nt. It didn't fit well, had no armature bit sticking out. I thought it was normal that I had to bury my toe up under the exhaust to find the back of the leg then keep on it while pulling the back of the bike up. I'm only 5'52". Sorted, just recently. I bent and welded a bar on since and yes, centre stand from now on.

Last edited:
Cheers for naming Oilite, grizld1. I didn't know that name. My previous searches for 'brass sleeve' and 'brass bush' were hopeless, but when I looked up Oilite - bingo! And there's a good range available in the UK. I added a grease nipple last week so on the same page there. I'm not confident I could file the camber from the post while staying circular. A bushing is the dream, but taking a step back I think mrtwowheel Scott's idea of spot weld blobs I can file down to fit is the most practicable fix for me and my limited talents.

Hard to tell from the photos, but give 2M's recipe some thought--that hole looks like it's ovaled. If you tack weld the post with an arc welder, be sure to remove all electronics from the frame first.

Back