Sidestand drama how easy to fit a 78-84 stand to a 73 bike

xsPete

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
G'day,
My Frame is 73 TX and I've bought Mikes 1 3/4" pipes.
Problem is these line right up centred at my bottom mount bolt.
This means the pipes are too low to clear the sidestand, the pipe on the left sticks out way wider than I want.
I tried a bolt on side stand and this is even worse for pushing the pipe out.
Looking at some pics I see the later stand for 78 onwards is mounted in and under the frame, so I'm thinking it would probably clear the pipes. I don't know how it bolts to the frame though and don't have access to look at a 78 onwards for reference.

Mikes has a 78 on kit for $40

2 Questions
1) Opinions on whether this would solve the clearance issue
2) How easy to adapt to a 73 frame

Here's a pic of where I'm at with it at present and how the pipe sits

Any help or ideas appreciated, I think the weld on stands would have a clearance issue as well.:banghead:

Attachments

• P1030144.jpg
    P1030144.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 102
The later stand mounts to a solid round stud with a hole drilled and tapped into it. It's not a clevis mount like your earlier stand. The mount also incorporates a stop for the stand. I think it would be pretty hard to fabricate one. You might be able to get a cut off one from someone who switched to a custom bolt-on stand.

ModdedSideStand.jpg

SideStandGreaseNipple.jpg

The later stand mounts to a solid round stud with a hole drilled and tapped into it. It's not a clevis mount like your earlier stand. The mount also incorporates a stop for the stand. I think it would be pretty hard to fabricate one. You might be able to get a cut off one from someone who switched to a custom bolt-on stand.

ModdedSideStand.jpg

SideStandGreaseNipple.jpg

Tks 5twins,
Photo's tell a million words, I guess I need to hunt down one of those solid round studs, don't like my chances in Aus.

In your photo where it shows the clamp it really highlights how much lower my pipes are sitting at mounting bolt point. I sat the pipe in the exhaust port nice and loose and held it as high as I could without over forcing anything before giving the nuts a light tighten up and it won't sit any higher than centre of the frame rail.

Tks 5twins,
Photo's tell a million words, I guess I need to hunt down one of those solid round studs, don't like my chances in Aus.

In your photo where it shows the clamp it really highlights how much lower my pipes are sitting at mounting bolt point. I sat the pipe in the exhaust port nice and loose and held it as high as I could without over forcing anything before giving the nuts a light tighten up and it won't sit any higher than centre of the frame rail.

Bump.
Anyone chopped a frame and have one of these studs in their shed.

Back