signals don't work, everything else flashes

jchrisk1

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
So, the other day I noticed my signals don't work with my light switch on. If the light switch is off, bike running, lights are on and signals work.

Today I took it out for a spin and my signal fuse blows. When I get home I put a new one in, turn on left signals and all is well. Turn on right side signals and it blows the fuse imediately. I put in a different fuse, that I had to go get because I was out of fuses, and when I turn on the right side signals they don't flash, but my headlight, neutral light, gauges, and taillight all flash.

I have no idea what it is. Maybe ground? I don't know.

If anyone can help me with this I would be very grateful.

Now I'm gonna go look at some wiring diagrams and see if I can tie this together somehow.

You don't say what year and stuff, Stuff like if you wired it yourself. If it used to work, look for anything on it that looks home made and make it right. Then use your fingernail and eyes to check for abrasions on the wires. All of em. That will fix it in that case. I doubt anybody is going to be able to narrow it down much more than that. Wherever the wires go through a hole without a grommet (should be a grommet there) pay special attention to the wire. Also wherever they rub against something,

Its a 78 SE. It has a new wiring harness that I put back on after I repainted the frame. I put on LED signals and taillight. I did resolder the flasher switch.

Did that harness ever work right? If not, where did it come from?

The problem is probably in your control, maybe some solder or wire is coming in contact with the turn signal switch and your headlight switches. If taking the control apart and inspecting it doesn't show anything apparent I would disconnect it from the harness and use a continuity tester to see what lights up in all the different combinations.

Yeah, it worked right. Then I stripped it down and cleaned and painted and put it back together. My right signals didn't work and I found two solder joints came off, so I resoldered them and it worked. Just not when my light switch was on. Whether or not it was like that before, I don't know.

A common mistake is to take the dark green or dark brown wires power wires of the the turn signals to be a "black" or ground....ie mistakenly connecting one of those colors
(very hard to tell if poor light and or dirty). Trace it out to verify

Got it. The right rear wires were rubbed through and touching. But on the bright side, my switch is really clean now.

Back