Signed up for a 5 week DIY motorcycle repair/maintenance course

Mr_Dunev

The New Guy
Reaction score
So as you can see I am new to the Forum, and just picked up my first XS. I really want to start working on my bike, and reading the manual, some of the things seem a little overwhelming especially since I have ZERO mechanical background. I think seeing someone do it, I will be able to replicate it better, and will have more confidence.

Anyways I just signed up for a 5 week course here in Los Angeles on fixing/maintaining your bike, which is supposed to cover everything from Carbs, transmission/clutch, to electrical.

They also have an advanced 5 week course which is for completely tearing down and rebuilding an engine.

This is kind of a godsend, and I CAN'T wait to get started.

Just thought I would share, and perhaps if anyone else is in the area they can take the course too. I can send you the info on it.

I think you'll benefit from it, especially with "ZERO mechanical background." I had to learn from watching too, really. In college I was pretty much forced to work on my own car. I had a scientific background but knew nothing about cars or tools. Luckily one of my roommates was in mechanical engineering and he'd worked in a garage through high school. What I learned from him that still lasts was an attitude toward the thing to be fixed. Also that book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance was helpful in spots, as baffling as it is in other spots... Well, the author was supposed to have an IQ of 180 or something plus he had electroshock, so that explains that...

I think you'll benefit from it, especially with "ZERO mechanical background." I had to learn from watching too, really. In college I was pretty much forced to work on my own car. I had a scientific background but knew nothing about cars or tools. Luckily one of my roommates was in mechanical engineering and he'd worked in a garage through high school. What I learned from him that still lasts was an attitude toward the thing to be fixed. Also that book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance was helpful in spots, as baffling as it is in other spots... Well, the author was supposed to have an IQ of 180 or something plus he had electroshock, so that explains that...
The course is only $300, so I dont think I can lose anything going and learning. I am sure anything I learn will be worth more than that in mechanic fee's. The guy has a pretty good resume too, and has some nice success stories from past students.

$300 for 5 wks is unreal. Is it every day? I met a guy last year who went to MMI. Your course is probably just as good.

$300 for 5 wks is unreal. Is it every day? I met a guy last year who went to MMI. Your course is probably just as good.

No it's not everyday.....I WISH!!!

But you also get a group discount -$25 for every person you bring. I have 4-5 friends who want to do it so instead of $300ea its going to be $275 ea

It's every Sunday for 5 hours. 2 hour lecture, then 3 hour workshop.

Here is the link.
http://la.backpage.com/MotorcyclesForSale/motorcycle-and-scooter-repair-and-service-classes-do-it-yourself/27220660

Last edited:
Going this route is very smart. Learning the basics from a course like this will save you much more than the price.
Just one screw up on fixing one thing can cost you more than $300.
Learning what not to do is as important as learning what to do.
Can you bring in your own bike? Learning the basics is great but learning on your bike would even be better.
Leo

Just went and read your link. Sounds even better. It does say in the carb workshop you can bring in your own carbs.
Looks good.
Leo

Just went and read your link. Sounds even better. It does say in the carb workshop you can bring in your own carbs.
Looks good.
Leo

Yeah you can bring your own carbs, however he doesn't want people bringing their own bikes. Since it is a general class, if everyone brings a different type of bike (vintage, Sport, Harley, etc.) I think he tried it before and it slowed down the class.

I am especially excited for the engine rebuilding class he offers as an advanced course.
5 weeks of tearing it apart and rebuilding it.

Sounds like a great opportunity. We have a Tech Center here, but all they offer is Auto Repair, Auto Body, and small engine repair--lawn mowers, small outboards, chain saws,etc, I would love to take a course like that.

I did this course! And the advanced engine rebuilding course! It helped me a ton working on my bike, and once i got that one running I bought another bike that was twice as broken one to keep me busy.

Bill Needham is a really good guy. Once you get deep in the shit with your 650, knowing you can always take your bike to a wizard will give you the confidence to pop open any cover.

Whereabouts in LA do you live?

I did this course! And the advanced engine rebuilding course! It helped me a ton working on my bike, and once i got that one running I bought another bike that was twice as broken one to keep me busy.

Bill Needham is a really good guy. Once you get deep in the shit with your 650, knowing you can always take your bike to a wizard will give you the confidence to pop open any cover.

Whereabouts in LA do you live?

Wow very cool. Yeah I read some of the success stories he had and they seemed great.

I live in Burbank, and I am renting a shop a couple miles from my apt to work on bikes.
Where do you live?

I am ALREADY in deep shit, HAHA I have gone a little bike crazy!
image_zpsd58b627c.jpg

photo_zpsa68f385b.jpg

You can come wrench/have a beer anytime. I am there at least everyother day in the evenings. Your more than welcome to use my table, just bring beer!

I took this course a few years back. It was really good but I ended up missing 2 of the classes and found it difficult to make them up, so be sure your schedule is clear. Bill is really knowledgable and patient, definitely a great course.

That shop you were renting for a bike workspace near your apt. I need to explore similar options, got any advice??

I rent 2 garages now. I have expanded quite a bit since making this thread in 2013. I found mine on Craigslist. Paying about 70c/sqft

Back