silly key switch question

MN_Bobber

79 XS650 Newb
Reaction score
Just for my own clarification. I'm using a universal key switch from the local parts store. It has 4 poles coming off of it: BATTERY, ACCESSORY, IGNITION, and STARTER.

Can someone explain the way this works for me? Silly question, like I said. Still learning tons about this bike and electronics. Thanks!:thumbsup:

Just for my own clarification. I'm using a universal key switch from the local parts store. It has 4 poles coming off of it: BATTERY, ACCESSORY, IGNITION, and STARTER.

Can someone explain the way this works for me? Silly question, like I said. Still learning tons about this bike and electronics. Thanks!:thumbsup:

sounds like you have a car switch ,hold the key to start thing. maybe someone has tryed it before,not me

OK there are two different styles and if you have the black bottom one you have a post dead center (that's starter)
then you have ing (that's your 12volt to you stuff)
then ASS ( i don't use it)
Then Batt (that's the 12 volts from battery to switch)

Here is how i use them
Starter goes to your solinoid switch so you can start bike with key
ING you run a fuse off that and run that to coil/lights/ing system/what ever you are going to power
ASS i don't use but if you want a parking light then use it
Batt I run a heavy wire from the positive of battery to it

Now first turn and you got power to bike second turn you start bike JUST LIKE A CAR

does any one know of a key ignition that allows to turn the bike on and then remove the key while leaving the bike running? I have the key ignition right next to my leg and already broke one key inside the ignition.

MN Bobber, That switch as mentioned by DADDYGCYCLES power from the battery with a 20 amp fuse to terminal BATTERY. Power out on the ASSESORY goes to most everything on the bike, IGNITION is power out to just the ignition. STARTER is power out to the starter. On this type of key switch it sends power out to trip the starter relay, Run a wire from this terminal to the red/white wire on the starter relay, ground the blue/white wire.
Retrobased23, You might try moving the switch or go to a round key switch. I don't think any key switch is made to have the key come out in the run position. Some in the assesory position.
Leo

does any one know of a key ignition that allows to turn the bike on and then remove the key while leaving the bike running? I have the key ignition right next to my leg and already broke one key inside the ignition.

Hi Retro,
switches will do that if they are totally clapped out but I don't think you can buy them that way.
Move the switch?
Turn it through 90º?
Very carefully bend the key's head L-shaped to clear your leg?

I found a switch that will allow me to take the key out but I need some help getting it wired up. The old switch had 3 terminals and new switch only has only 2. Is it still do able? If so Can someone help me out and let me know what I need to do with these wires to get this switch going and get back on the road?

Old switch set up-
Red-B terminal
Blue-ST terminal
Brown-G terminal

New switch only has one of the terminals labeled as A and the other terminal is not labeled.

take the barrel out, then the tabs that lock the key in. but after that, any key will work. even a key lime pie!!lulz

I found a switch that will allow me to take the key out but I need some help getting it wired up. The old switch had 3 terminals and new switch only has only 2. Is it still do able? If so Can someone help me out and let me know what I need to do with these wires to get this switch going and get back on the road?

Old switch set up-
Red-B terminal
Blue-ST terminal
Brown-G terminal

New switch only has one of the terminals labeled as A and the other terminal is not labeled.

Hi Retro,
if your wiring is still stock, or at least, the same colour scheme as stock,
Red is power from the battery via a fuse, Blue powers the rear lights and Brown powers everything else.
And if your replacement switch is a plain ol' ON/OFF switch, connect the Red wire to one terminal and the Blue and Brown wires to the other.
And don't lose that detachable key, eh?
Or at least, carry a spare.

Back