Simple wiring gone wrong.

cmj317

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Using the diagram below, I'm trying to get spark out of the XS. It's an 81, I picked up as a basket case, with a hacked harness. It was supposed to run before I picked it up, but I'd like to confirm that before I throw money at it.

xs650-1.jpg

I'm using just the ignitor unit, and coil. This diagram suggests that I dont need a pick up coil, and that's grand, because I have misplaced mine.

I'm just using a 12v battery with a 20amp fuse to power coil/ignition unit. I havent gotten as far as the charging system, but that's not needed to verify spark, correct? I've just got the 3 wires hooked up, and i'm trying to kick for spark. Any better information is greatly appreciated.

Christopher.

...this diagram isnt for your bike, this is for a permanent magnet alternator, pamco ignition and batteryless, no e-start

- you should look perhaps at this

xs650allyears.jpg

Okay, it all makes sense now, but I'm still not getting spark. I've chopped up the harness into the necessities. Ignition Unit, which has the pigtail for the Pick-up Coil, and the coil itself. I'm having problems tho.

Can anyone confirm that wire colors change when the harness plugs up to the pickup coil pigtail?

cmj317,
I recently went searching for a wiring diagram myself for my '80. After looking over several i found one that will work great for keeping my stock ignition, coil, and rect. On my '80 I have a nuetral safty switch that has to be wired in. take a look at this diagram and see if it works for you
updatedwireing.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The pickup coil is located on the alternator assembly, correct? I'm sorry, I'm kind of a newb to the old school. I've been around EDIS and FI too long. The pickup has brown, gray, and black wire coming from it (if I recall) but the harness that it plugs into, are the whit red, and green wires. I'm just confused. I'll map out EXACTLY what I have going on in the morning. I could be riding this thing around right now. It's killing me!

P.S. I picked up the bike as a basket case for $500. Add $8 for solid rear struts, $48 for bars and grips, and thats it! I'd like to get it running and driving for less than $600, and then start throwing money at it to look nicer.

Here's what she looks like now. My friend is sitting on the bike for size/stance comparison.

2010-04-20%2018.52.51.jpg

Yup. Bike came with ignition unit, rect/reg. Coil. And all the guts were in the lh case. The coil I have confirmed is good.

Here is what I have so far. Someone please let me know if I'm heading in the right direction.

CMJ%20Diagram.png

She lives!

I had everything correct I guess. All I did was ground the battery, and ignition to the same chassis point. Video is uploading now.

Back