Sissybar for xs650-D

Aucbar

Medicine & Mechanics
Reaction score
Friends,

I having a little bit of an issue and am looking for help; I purchased this sissy bar from ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/74-83-Yamah...t-back-rest-sissybar-sissy-bar-/150901276277?
pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item23226abe75&nma=true&si=kNvJb9KeQkTGmVaEDZhuh4GE0KA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

and it is beautiful but the probably is that it WILL NOT MOUNT to my bike. :banghead: I have a 1977 xs650-D and it has the side handle for assistance with lifting the bike and putting it on the center stand. :shrug: I don't have a pic of my bike on hand but the handle prevents the sissy bar from attaching to shock anchor. Also, none of the holes line up either.
So I am looking for information on what to about it. Whether there is a specific part for it or if I will need to modify it? I like the look of it and it is chrome so I wouldn't want to weld it and I would prefer to not have to make a custom part. So if you know anything I would appreciate the help!!! :D

That is for a special frame. Not a standard.
You might try a classified ad here on the site 2
a> sell that one
b> get a correct one

I have an original from my 75 (dealer bought accessory) it is tall with a pad and fits around that grab handle. Want a pic for comparing??

Posted via Mobile

Aucbar,

Judging by the eBay pics, it most likely is for a Special which has the tops of the shocks mounted more forward in the frame.

I also have a 77D, and was able to mount a 78 Special grab bar by shortening it by about an inch or two, crimping the cut ends in a vise, and cutting new slots into the ends. You will have to lose your original side handle though, but the added sissybar will serve as your new side handle.

Attached a couple of pics to use as a reference.

Remember: measure twice, cut once

resto

ebay-grab-bar.jpg

my grab bar measured.JPG

Sorry about this super slow reply. I don't get notifications for some reason. I am interested in the sissy bar though. Trying to plan a ride from Ut to Tx and wanna get my gear in order. Post a pic if you could. Thanks

I do believe that is the type of bar it is. I don't want tomodify the frame because there might be a time I want it removed and would rather not have permant situations arise but I'll look into it. Thanks

Back