Sketchy turbo hard tail build

rusche

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Well I've been working on this $300 lump for several years, and had a large hiatus while I fixed up and sold my house this summer. Now heading back into winter I have nothing to do, so I drug the beast out of storage and figure I'll spend the snowy months drinking Guinness and throwing goose poop welds at this abortion.
Heres a few pictures from along the way

The turbo is a GT15. Drawing through a Harley 40mm CV carb. Hardtail is TC Bros

dgpe0w.jpg

Thats a GL1200 front fender. I mocked it up briefly and decided it looks like doo. Somehow made its way into the picture

Ha, I have a '86 GL front fender that I've been thinking about using. I also have a '75 GL chrome front fender that looks pretty cool on the back. The '75 is in rough shape from edge breaks and dents but I know I could stiffen and fill it for paint, the built in mud flap reminds me of fins on the '50s cars when it's placed higher up.

Scott

Ha, I have a '86 GL front fender that I've been thinking about using. I also have a '75 GL chrome front fender that looks pretty cool on the back. The '75 is in rough shape from edge breaks and dents but I know I could stiffen and fill it for paint, the built in mud flap reminds me of fins on the '50s cars when it's placed higher up.

Scott

I actually started with a chrome GL1000 front, but it didnt quite fit as good as I wanted, but was very close. I think Im going to go with a raw 6" ribbed fender
Thinking black powdercoat frame, black engine with polished covers, and leaving the tank and rear fender raw steel, with just a little patina

Rear fender, looks like GoldWing, but it's not. Looks like a good start. I like that kind of foot rest bracket, extra fabrication for the brake lever.

Scott

Im actually not going to run a rear brake lever.
My plan is to run a larger more modern front master cylinder, and splitting the brake line, and running both front and rear brakes off the front master (single disc front). Will keep the install cleaner I think. We'll see if a prop valve is necessary

I like that setup. I did a front mount one but could only pull very low boost because of clutch setup. Need to look at cowboys drag bike with the lockup clutch. That's the way to get some boost in that motor. Did you weld up the crank. GT 15 with the right boost control can pull over 15 pounds of boost. When done please do a video of running. Monstercraftsman did a rear mount years ago but switched it up to front mound for more exhaust pressure. VERY COOL

I like that setup. I did a front mount one but could only pull very low boost because of clutch setup. Need to look at cowboys drag bike with the lockup clutch. That's the way to get some boost in that motor. Did you weld up the crank. GT 15 with the right boost control can pull over 15 pounds of boost. When done please do a video of running. Monstercraftsman did a rear mount years ago but switched it up to front mound for more exhaust pressure. VERY COOL

I originally started with a front mount, but never liked the packaging. I much prefer the aesthetics of the rear mount, we'll see how functional it is. Im going to start at low boost and work my way up, see how it goes. This whole thing is a big experiment lol.

1113181029.jpg
1113181028.jpg
Picked up a TC Bros weld on kickstand, pretty slick unit. Cut and modified my up pipe to keep the exhaust closer to the frame, didn't like how low it hung. Also added the O2 bung for a wideband for tuning. You can probably tell I've sleeved the pipe like six times lol.
Stuck the pamco in there and cut the stator cover near the chain.
Went a little crazy and ordered a ton of parts this week so hopefully I'll have more progress to show soon

Last edited:
Heres a question for you folks
You can see where Ive positioned a XS750 oil cooler
I have heard lots of different opinions about the oil cooler blocking flow to the head and causing more harm than good
However, the turbocharger should add a significant amount of heat.
Will the cooler up front be more hassle than its worth?

No I had one even lower and never had a problem. Think of it this way all the old Harleys that throw off way more heat put there oil coolers in the front and I had a triumph with a 850cc ROUTTS KIT and had the cooler in between the pipes and never had a problem. I have built some crazy high compression BUSA motors and they get hot even water cooled and that rad covers the front of the engine. You should be fine.

Back