Slight jerk to the left when I hit the brake

cmyoch

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I've checked my rear alignment a few times and it's lined up perfect. When I'm cruising along and then hit the rear brake I feel a slight pulse to the left plus I've noticed the tire then rubs the swingarm a bit. Since my alignment is fine and has not changed, I'm thinking either worn brake pads or a wheel bearing is shot. Am I thinking correctly??

I forgot I posted that a while back. It's not as severe. I'm pretty sure I have the axle tight but that will be the first thing I check when I get time tomorrow.

I run mags so it's either the axle, bearings, or pads. I'll try to narrow it down.

Have you looked at the chain adjusters after this happens? Has one moved away from the rear of the swingarm so it's adjustment screw is no longer making contact? That would indicate the axle has moved.

I checked the adjusters and all was fine. Went to pull the pin to torque the castle nut and it broke in two. I ended up being able to tighten the nut to the next hole which I assume was about another quarter turn. Installed a new pin then took her for a ride. I didn't notice it jerking during my ride but unfortunately it was very windy and I was blowing all over the place. We have some rainy weather here now so I plan on reporting back the first nice day I have to test ride again.

No, Sir, you don't recall correctly. I hope folks take the trouble to look up the spec at http://www.biker.net before they start tearing things up.

Craig, keep us posted on progress. If you get stuck let me know, and I'll take a look at it.

I consulted my manual the other day when I worked on it. First off I should have known not to reuse the cotter pin which is probably why it was snapped. I'm lucky there weren't many miles on it otherwise this could have been a disaster. I made sure I torqued it to spec.

The problem I face too is that when I notice something isn't right, I resort to posting the issue here before taking the time to troubleshoot on my own. This issue should have been painfully obvious considering I posted about the very same problem last fall when I took my first test ride after my engine overhaul. I apologize for bothering everyone on this.

Dick, if this means that we can have another visit, then yes, I have all kinds of issues! I enjoy our time together.

It looks like we may finally have our ride together this year. The bike is running good. I want to revisit my carbs again after I read the guide again for the 100th time. I still think there's an improvement to be made. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

No, Sir, you don't recall correctly. I hope folks take the trouble to look up the spec at http://www.biker.net before they start tearing things up.

Craig, keep us posted on progress. If you get stuck let me know, and I'll take a look at it.

ok my bad 108.5 flt lbs, but I highly doubt that using 0.5 ft lbs less is going to tear anything up.
web.jpg

I don't even bother torquing the axles. I tried once and think it's just plain silly. If you're so set on doing it, just answer me this one simple question ..... when you get to that ridiculously tight 108.5 ft/lbs and the castle nut doesn't line up with the hole in the axle, what do you do ???????????????

I don't even bother torquing the axles. I tried once and think it's just plain silly. If you're so set on doing it, just answer me this one simple question ..... when you get to that ridiculously tight 108.5 ft/lbs and the castle nut doesn't line up with the hole in the axle, what do you do ???????????????

I'm pretty well at that torque setting but there's no room for me to go any further. Although I did have to back it off and turn the axle a few times to make sure I was aligned for the cotter pin. I assume that's why there's the hole on the other side to turn the axle rod?

Have the bearings been out of the hub?

inner spacer missing comes to mind as a possible issue.

Have the bearings been out of the hub?

inner spacer missing comes to mind as a possible issue.

As far as I know, everything is intact. I plan on ordering a new rear tire this week so this will give me the opportunity to check it all out when I pull the wheel.

Update, tightening the castle nut more plus a new cotter pin greatly improved the issue. I'm still having a very slight movement with the application of the rear brake. When time permits, I will be double checking the rear brake caliper and pads.

you just back it off to the nearest slot. I'm pretty sure the engineers spec'd that with room to adjust for the holes.

Back