Slipped crank issue and that loud Wrrrrr noise !

Hi Paul ! Yes I'm afraid so the cylinders have to come off to get the piston pins out so the rods can go with the crank
though the can chain can be split you still have to take it apart anyway so the cam chain could stay in one piece and go with the crank.
you can work the cam chain off the cam itself with a bit of hocus pocus and contortionist moves ! and let it fall down to the crank....
but you still need to raise the cylinders up enough to get the piston pins out so you can get the rods disconnected....
so i think it's best all the way around to just disassemble the thing that way you can inspect the gasket surfaces and prevent oil leaks !
2M I read Dave's thread and noticed that gggGary posted his wobbly crank problem there too... seams to me that the XS650 has a serious weak spot ...the crank ! they slip !!!!!!! I am wondering now how often does this happen ? is it a common problem or am I just one of the lucky ones ?
..... Bob........

I'd rate it neither common, NOR rare. Possible slip is part and parcel of built up cranks. We hear of a few cases of the dreaded deep whir here a couple times a year.
Any Harley mechanic that's been around the block a time or two knows what scissoring means.

No gggGary I haven't tried posting on Craigslist .... but I might. it's a good idea !
Yah I realise I could have the engine off and ON the FLOOR...(not on the bench that will take help ! ) probably in an hour using just a ratchet and end wrenches.... 20 min if I had my air tools though ! LOL
....it's hard to devote any resources to fixing something so non essential to life, when all the bills have stacked up over winter... but we're almost on top of that so the future is looking brighter ! LOL.
I like the idea of running an add on Cregs list for "xs650 needed for parts ! must be cheap !" LOL.... who knows what rancher may have in his barn around here ! thanks Gary !
Bob........

Do you mean the crank has spread? Not wise to carry on with if it has, first thing it does is rub the inside of the crankcase spreading metal through you engine, I've seen somebody else' that had nothing left of the bottom of the piston where it wasn't running true, I've had to completey rebuild an engine getting aluminium out of all the gearbox and oilways

I don't think that is the case , but then again I don't know to be positive I think just the right end of all the crank plates that are pressed in to the pins has twisted just a tiny bit..... the pressed together crank has rotated on the rod pin..... I think..... it is a very minor amount IF indeed that is the case and not the bushing in the clutch basket .... I will check that real carefully if I go into it !
I had a pressed together crank spread apart on a A7 Kawasaki 350cc I had just bought the thing so took it back to them and they repaired it at no cost to me .... so I got lucky there but it does happen ! I discovered it when I kicked it through one time with it tilted and the crank was scraping on the case inside ... I said OH MAN that is not right ! loaded it back in the truck and took it back and they said No that is not right Mr.Kelly we'll fix it , no problem ! .... and they did a fantastic job too that bike was a rocket and went like a bat out'a hell..... it was a 2 cycle with twin rotary disk valves on the intake .... it didn't handle much better than a refrigerator though, but it did it really quickly !
Bob.....

If the problem was money to buy a good crank, I would sell my fenders and side covers on ebay to buy a crank, then replace them when I could.

How can you say a bike is "non essential to life" Life hardly seems worth living with out a bike.
Maybe that's just the way I see it.
Leo

How can you say a bike is "non essential to life" Life hardly seems worth living with out a bike.
Maybe that's just the way I see it.
Leo
Ha !... never a truer word said Leo... I go to bed dreaming about my bike and wake up thinking about it . cannot imagine a life without my bike and scooter.
My one lasting fear is to go blind ...

Bob is there any chance you have a video of the problem so we could hear the sound ?
it looks like you are going to end up stripping the engine to effect a permanent repair methinks.

I put off rebuilding the engine and gearbox to my Lambretta for over 2x years but once I'd decided to do it and amassed all the necessary oil seals bearings and gaskets etc it didn't take as long as I thought that it would. If I were nearer I'd come over and give you a hand mind you I'd eat all your food lol

Back