Slipping Clutch

Josh42

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So my clutch is slipping. It's still rideable but I have to be pretty easy on the gas to keep it from slipping. I've adjusted the lever so there's 2-3mm of play and it's got good oil in it. Could it be anything else besides worn plates? Just asking before I go buy a set. Also do I need to get new metal plates or just fibre? Thanks.

Could be adjustment on the rod behind the cover on the left side,
If you do need new plates you can check the plain ones they go blue and warp causing the clutch to slip, this is the main reason I've found causing my clutch to slip, apart from the springs not being strong enough.

My 81' SH would slip badly once I hit 4000rpm. The reason was it still had the original clutch springs. So I ordered new ones on Ebay for about £14. It took about 1.5 hours to change them and no more slipping. Do you still have the original springs? They do not last forever.

If you get new springs then take the time to check for wear on the friction plates and check the steel plates for warp while the side cover is off. Another possibility would be the wrong type of oil in the engine i.e. an oil that is not rated for wet clutches.

Could be adjustment on the rod behind the cover on the left side,
If you do need new plates you can check the plain ones they go blue and warp causing the clutch to slip, this is the main reason I've found causing my clutch to slip, apart from the springs not being strong enough.
Ill check that. I'm getting new springs as well as plates so that should be fine.

https://ibb.co/bC1Rb7 Well, the one on the left is the new one, right is the old one. I think it's safe to say the springs are worn out. Replaced the friction plates for good measure and it really pulls now. No slip at all. Thanks guys.
bC1Rb7

Back