Sloped MC reservoir

OK, I'll open it up and clean the bore and piston components. I'll also order a couple of the Banggood kits just in case. I apologise for the error in ascribing post 23 gentlemen, no offence intended. Thanks Thu for the detail on bleeding, I'll put it to the test.
Cheers

Opened up that M/C. Put a hole in the rubber dust cover with a screw driver whilst doing it - clumsy! Had to buy a pair of internal cir-clip pliers to get the cir-clip out and guess what..... the internals looked like the day they were made. No regrets here gents. The inspection gives me peace of mind. Put it back together, got a new dust cover coming from Banggood for the princely sum of $1.78 (AUD) and I know the front brake is serviceable and will work. I did reuse the cir-clip despite littlebill's advice in his excellent 2011 disassembly and rebuild thread - I was keen to get it back together. so I simply spread it a little with a set of external cir-clip pliers and it clicked back in. Actually, I put some fluid in the thing and it eventually pumped it out of the Banjo connection without any leaks from the opposite end of the piston. May be a different story under pressure but I am being positive at the moment. I've painted it up and will install it in place. Ordered a new cylinder kit so I could install that, (or at least the new cir-clip and dust cover), before I mount it but I would only be showing my OCD. Also got a 100cm brake line from Banggood to fit my "Buckhorns". New piston and pad kit from Mikes for the callipers, refurbished M/C, new brake line, banjo and washers new lever, bolt adjustor and spring, plenty of bleeding info from Thu and littlebill and lots of solid advice from 5T and Gary...... hopefully I've got everything covered and the thing will function as designed. Actually, I am a cautious front brake user. I prefer to stand on the rear and feather the front to avoid a total lock up. Interested in what people have to say about correct brake usage. Mind you, there have been a couple of times when I have jumped on the rear hard, grabbed a solid handful of front and only just avoided becoming boot contents. I allow for a lot more room between me and a hard object these days and squeezing between lanes with my 64 year old knees stuck out like stabilizers on a trawler is out of the question. Ahh.... the sensibility of experience versus the rash impetuosity of youth! Will post some pics when it is all back together.
Cheers

Last edited:
I do apply both brakes all the time when stopping from speed, just the rear a lot when almost stopped and to final stop. Truth be told, my rear drum doesn't seem to do all that much at speed. I'm sure it's helping and contributing, but the front is the big stopper here. With your smaller than stock MC, you're going to get better and more progressive "feel" on that front brake. You'll be able to apply it just partially at lower speeds. So maybe once you get used to the new "feel", you'll end up using it more.

Back