Slow-mo Chicago build...

Paddy399

Still Lots To Learn
Reaction score
Well, here we go. I bought this bike last year with all the intentions of turning it into a hard tail and now... well... I have no idea what I want to build. So with that in mind, let me introduce you to my bike. It's an '81 Special II. Pretty, right? So... umm... yeah.

The only thing I know for sure is I have absolutely no direction for this build. (Here is where I mention this is my first build.) Please feel free to leave comments, suggestions or make me the butt of any and all jokes. The only thing I will ask in return, other than free advice, is KEEP ME MOTIVATED! I have a tendency to start projects and then lose interest.

I've added a few picures for your entertainment. The first are in it's stock state other than the handle bars and the aftermarket exhaust the PO slapped on. I really do mean slapped on. The right side muffler wasn't even attached to the header pipe...

Like I've said, I have no real direction as of right now but I do know I want to get the bike running well first. It ran ok last year though I didn't have much time to ride. It would pop out the right side on acceleration but I'm almost positive it still has stock jet settings. With the history these bikes have for running lean, I'm starting my endevor into the carbs. (Note: I did do some minor maintenance last summer including compression tests, checking of the valves and cam tensioner. All checked ok.)

Hopefully I'll have the carbs back on by sometime next week. Wish me luck!

And yes, I think those are the stock air filters.....

Attachments

• photo (14).jpg
    photo (14).jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 243
  • photo (15).jpg
    photo (15).jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 233
  • photo (16).jpg
    photo (16).jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 201
  • photo (19).jpg
    photo (19).jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 224
  • photo77.jpg
    photo77.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 270
Hey Paddy399, Nice bike you got there. You've got a good start on just getting her sorted out.I take it that you have a manual already.Take a look around and see what peaks your interest and what style of bike you really dig.

How much riding do you plan on doing? I'm doing a hardtail because I don't plan on doing any long distance trips. However, if you do want to ride a lot you might want to look into the brat style as it keeps the suspension in the rear. How much did you pay for the bike if you don't mind me asking, it looks like a nice start.

Having riden a basically stock 81 Heritage Special in Chicago... I would certianly make sure to keep all the brakes and suspension... maybe a "brat-style" ... I am 6ft tall and wish my bike was a few inches longer with a lower seat... maybe a stretched swingarm and a drop seat? Longer wheelbase would soften the ride a bit, at expense of tight manuverability... so that's a judgement you would have to make dependant on your riding style and environment... downtown Chicago has plenty of challenges... but it can be an interesting ride.
Welcome to the sickness.... glad to have ya. I am a couple hours east of Chicago and get to the city every few months... usually for a concert... maybe the summer will find me on two wheels there

Well look at all of these replies. Thanks for the support and YES we should get a Chicago scoot together this year. Don't know if you guys are familiar with the Mods and Rockers get together, I hear this year is going to be bigger than previous years.

As far as what to build here, I guess I did leave out a couple of key points. Number one being I don't plan on taking this on any long runs, this is just for hopping around the city. The other big problem is I'm 6'5" so that kind of limits me. I am not a great welder nor do I have access to tig/mig machines. I have had some conversations with the guys at TC Bros and they assure me I would be comfortable on their hard tail with forward controls if that's the route I choose...

If I have some time later today I'll post some pics that I've got locked away for inspiration.

Mine is a TC brothers (I think). If you are looking for some parts I am putting the Tank, FWD controls, Exhaust, and seat up this weekend when I get some better pictures taken.

2poler I'd be very interested in the tank and forward controls. PM with a price when you're ready.

To all chicagoans in this thread: what part of chitown are you? I am living near lawrence and austin. Two xs, one 80 and one 81, both specials... Wanted to do a hardtail, but now think brat is more suitable for me. Hope, will end my build this spring...

Irving Park and Broadway in Buena Park. Most of the year you will see me on a bicycle!

I am in Munster IN, 30min from downtown. I was born and raised in Chicago (Hegwisch, WAY south side). I work downtown and need a deadline to force me to get to work on my bike.

Back