Small Electrical box for chopper $10

Yeah, You should get a multimeter and test for continuity across each key position.

But if you don't have one and cannot wait. I believe B is your hot from the battery (after the main fuse of course), Turn the key one position and it hots up IG, turn the key to the number 2 position and it hots up both IG and L.

But like Grepper said, get a multimeter. This is a tool you should have before you ever touch the wiring on your bike. You can diagnose just about every electrical issue possible with a $20 meter.

Thanks bro!

did you connect the battery + to the yellow connector on the side of the fuse block?
i cant see the connector in any other pictures, from my vantage anyway..?

also, when running your lights, did you run from the fuse to the light switch, then out to head brake, tails?

The battery connects to the key switch. From there it goes to the fuse block. I had originally had ignition always on and the toggle was my headlight. But switched it so the toggle was my ignition and a second turn of the key switch turns on the lights. The lights are no longer fuse protected after the main but whatever.

About the lights, yes. You just connect your lead from the fuseblock to the switch and from there to the lights.

im looking to run the same minimalist setup for my build. headlight, tail light, kick only. however I don't know a fucking thing about electrical at all (someone is doing all that work for me, I just need parts). I really dig this set up though. is that your battery below the electrical box? Im trying to figure out what it is I need to buy exactly to make this all work. I did the pma/pamco swap. no idea on the battery or electrical. any advice or suggestions here? thanks!

im looking to run the same minimalist setup for my build. headlight, tail light, kick only. however I don't know a fucking thing about electrical at all (someone is doing all that work for me, I just need parts). I really dig this set up though. is that your battery below the electrical box? Im trying to figure out what it is I need to buy exactly to make this all work. I did the pma/pamco swap. no idea on the battery or electrical. any advice or suggestions here? thanks!

if you have a pma and you don't care about an electric starter, you can ditch the battery and use a capacitor. the sparx capacitor is a popular option (http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/p1695...ttery-eliminator-replaces-lucas-2mc-54170009/). however, you do not want to enclose the sparx or other capacitors. they need room to breath.

check out some of these wiring diagrams for help.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61&page=12
page 12 and beyond is what helped me the most. be mindful of where you place the 20amp main fuse.

I didn't know much about wiring before reading through this thread but it sure helped me build my own harness from scratch (fingers crossed)

I have to say this was an excellent idea and was about to drop the hammer on the Monstercraftsman "Pill" type electronics box when I stumbled on this thread. I picked up all the parts today locally and was able to build a sweet box for the fraction of the cost of what online retailers sell. Even though it doesnt look as "chopperish" its still a pretty sweet set up. I ended up using a regular box as i could not find a perfectly flat one like yours without the punchout holes but lucky for me I was able to make it work.

Everything was going smooth until I tested out the brake light/switch and fried the wires so the project is on hold until I get a replacement. Other than that this totally cleaned up my wiring compared to what I had before.

I have had a few people ask for some more photos of this box as it looks on the bike. So here you go guys.

20130520-181124.jpg

20130520-181117.jpg

They make much nicer boxes since this was first opened

Attachments

• key box.jpg
    key box.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 151
  • key box1.jpg
    key box1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 147
Back