Small Glass Balls instead of needles

specopsmedic

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have been working on chopping a 1973 XS. When I disassembled the carbs instead of a needle valve in the float bowl there were small glass ball in the valves. The balls seemed to free floating and were allowing fuel to pass into the carb since the bike had been previously running. I can't find a reference on this type of valve anywhere. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR INFO.

Thanks,
Doc
:yikes:

there is not supposed to be any balls in the bowls.
edit: in the stock carbs

Last edited:
You mean in the seat where the fuel inlet needle should be? Years ago, there used to be a needle seat combo called a Grose Jet.It used a ball instead of a needle. These were around when that bike was new.

Thanks for the info. on the Grose Jet. Can they be retro fitted with needle jets? The one ball is sticking causing the carb to leak through the overflow valve.

Thanks again,

Doc

The Grose jet is a great part.....One of my other hobbies is vintage sleds..I've restored, showed and raced vintage sleds since the late '80s early '90s...the Grose jet is a huge problem solver in Tillotson and Walbro butterfly style carbs....

This little part will solve many needle/seat leaking problems, and can help immensly when you have a needle sticking problem common in those carbs.......it is one of those things that actually do work..
Tom

Hi dave, I've gone over to vintage sledder a few times, spend most of my time over on Vintage sleds....I've kinda been taking a break from sleds to build my bike and a Mustang....my garge time on sleds had dropped off the last couple of years ...LOL
I'm VIN+AGE on both of those boards... :)

Back