small lever under my front brake lever.

1972xs650

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
My first post, i just purchased my first bike since 1980. i bot a 72 xs 650 and under my front brake lever is a smaller lever which the previous owner disconnected. What is it, and whats it for? Btw i have not started the back or have not been able work on b/c of the weather in the NE. pls help

Hi 1972 welcome to the site.
A lever under the front brake.
Thats a new one on me. it may not be OEM after all these yers
can you post a pic of it?
go to the manage attachment section under the posting section in the Additional Options section

its in my snowed in shed right now, it looks like a smaller version of my brake lever,i think its related to starting the bike! maybe some sort of compression release or something to make it easier to start

On the '72 model, that little lever is a combo compression release and electric starter "button". You have no little starter button like the later models. On yours, when you pull that lever, it activates the compression release AND the starter motor. It should have a few electrical wires connected to it (for activating the starter) and a cable running down to the left front valve cover (to activate the compression release).

Hi '72 and welcome,
to enlarge on 5twins' explanation, the decompression lever/start switch combo was only used on the first two years of the E-start XS650s.
They did keep fitting the decompression-compatible rocker arms until they ran out of them some years later and the 4-stud left exhaust valve cover stayed until end of production.
When weather permits, check if your 4-stud valve cover has the cable arm on it or if the cover has been replaced with a later plain cover.
If it were mine, I'd try to restore the decomp/start just for cuteness sake but the bike will E-start just fine without it if it has a normal start button and (of course) a good battery.

Wow you guys are great, i had a suspicion that it was starter related. i will order the cable and whatever else i need to get it working again.tanks againh

Back