Smallest battery possible?

Mellowyellow

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi guys im looking for some alternitives to a regular sized battery for my project. I dont plan on using electric start (but it would be nice to keep the option).

Not sure if it makes a difference but im using pamco petes ignition.

Thanks Guys

From what I've figured.. if you want to keep the electric start, you're not going to find a battery much smaller than what came stock. You can find better ones like the Odyssey PC545 but it's not really any smaller. If you ditch the starter, then you can get away with a smaller battery, so that the real decision you need to make.

If you do to starter-less, you could convert to permanent magnet alternator and with the pamco you could probably just use a capacitor and no battery at all.

that looks simular to my solar electric fence battery. I'll check tommorow.
I, too, am 'ditching' my starter.

- mellowyellow, ive done the permag conversion on, i think, the last 10 xses ive owned and several for friends, you can do this in a morning, including the wiring...more or less a bolt-off bolt-on...a little more effort required if you go batteryless

Thanks inxs do you have a link or parts list on this conversion? If Its as easy as you say Im interested.

As far as this stuff goes I know very little, but I have the engine rebuilt and would like to get this baby running.

- i think that has been designed to work with the banshee alternator and replaces the adaptor and backing plates...the stator should bolt straight to it

- the banshee isnt an option here in europe ... im not sure how popular the RD and RZ were in north america

- the important thing is the stator size...3 phase, permag...103 x 42 x 20...there are quite a few bikes using these stators-i dont have a list but a quick ebay search will turn one up...i think the banshee stator is 17mm thick but this shouldnt be too much a problem as the rotor and crankshaft taper positioning arent an exact match

- if you have original electronic ign you will need to convert to a cam based ign..twin points, single points, pamco, boyer etc

I have a pamco ignition from mikesxs http://www.xs650direct.com/products-27.html Part #14-0901 will I still be able to use the Ignition Coil that came with the kit?

Im just trying to get a parts list together, so far.....

-stator size (103 x 42 x 20)
-rotor [aka Flywheel] from an ’87 – ‘06 Yamaha Banshee (YFZ350)
-and some kind of REGULATOR/RECTIFIER?

- coil should be fine
- pete says his pamco unit will work with any rec-reg but you will need one from a high revving sports bike running a 3 phase permag alternator...these alts pump out a lot of juice that the rec-reg will need to convert to heat so mount it somewhere it will get good airflow...better when it has cooling fins too

Ok good to know, thanks again for the help.

-stator size (103 x 42 x 20)
-rotor [aka Flywheel] from an ’87 – ‘06 Yamaha Banshee (YFZ350)
-and some kind of REGULATOR/RECTIFIER (from a high revving sports bike with 3 phase permag alternator).

Anything else?

- woodruff key modified to fit both rotor and crankshaft
- 20A in-line fuse between RR and batt
- use a timing wheel to transfer timing marks to rotor.. degree wheel

Is there a list floating around the net of REGULATOR/RECTIFIER's that work with a three phase?

Sounds like most new bikes will work, but is there one out there that is nice and small (narrow to fit under the tank) tword the front (cooling) that would work well for our application?

Thanks

Back