Smoke out of left side only ...

Evilclone13

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got about 100miles on the bike now, and it seems to be smoking out of just the left side. It also seems to be smoke a bit more than it did when I first noticed it. I have set and rechecked the timing and valve lash atleast four times just to be sure things are in order.

Here's a pic of the plugs, left plug is out of the left head ... any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0526.JPG
    IMG_0526.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Way too rich, and, yes, there's oil on the left plug.
Replace the plugs, fix the overrich condition, and monitor the oil problem. I may go away, or get worse...

Way too rich, and, yes, there's oil on the left plug.
Replace the plugs, fix the overrich condition, and monitor the oil problem. I may go away, or get worse...

Do you think the oil condition is being caused by timing set up, valve seat, valve guide seal, or even worse, piston ring tolerance?

The bike hasn't ran since 09' according to previous owner ...

Likely rings aggravated by a rich condition.

Or it could be that the injectors in your Honda are dirty, and the MAF sensor need cleaning.
May have to remap the fuel tables in the ECU. Not sure which ECU you have...

stuck kanooter valve can do that too. At least you can tell from the plugs that you still have oil! Seriously though, before waking it up, did you torque check the head, by chance? My conditions got better on my 79 Special after a re-torque and a few heat cycles.

What is the compression in both cylinders?

With smoke coming out the exhaust, you could have a bad head gasket. Monitor the oil level and see how much oil the engine is consuming. Have you checked for the correct torque on the head studs?

I looked at your album, and I see you have those old OEM ignition coils. Those coils give a really poor spark. Buy yourself a new single (dual output ) coil, so you can have a decent spark.

I see a top end re-build in your future.

I have not rechecked the head bolts, but I have upgraded the ignition to a new single coil PAMCO. I'll be looking into retorquing the head.

Both our 650's, the chopper and my trike, were dirtying up the fins and such from leaking head gaskets. More like "misting" head gaskets. A simple torqueing of the head bolts took care of both of them. You would be surprised at how far below spec they can be after a few years.

I did a compression check ... cold, left = 90, right = 120. Hot, left = 120, right = 120. looks like a top end rebuild will be coming this winter.

Back