Smoking again and clutch surging?

shotgunjoe

XS650 Hunter
Reaction score
For those who read my previous thread regarding my bike, you will remember that it was smoking really bad and I found torn valve stem seals. I fixed those, which fixed the smoking issue.

My smoking issue is back, just as bad as ever... its coming from the right side. I havent done a compression test since its return. I just feel seriously defeated. I replace the headgasket at the same time, new copper sealing washers, 3 stage torque on head studs up to 30. No retorque yet. :banghead: :cussing:

My other issue is new to me since I never rode the bike before tearing the engine apart. The clutch seems to SURGE. Not all the time. Sometimes when riding, but almost every time when starting from a stop. The bike will literally JERK forward and then stop and then jerk forward and then stop very rapidly several times and then stop all together, then start again. Clutch adjustment is dead right accord to the tech section. :wtf:

Just did a compression test COLD. 165psi on both cylinders! I did it cold just after putting it back together, and it was 130psi on both. Cold comp before the repair was 145psi. So the compression has obviously gone up.

Is it possible the PO put in an aftermarket cam which is causing the seal to be damaged? (ok its "possible" from the reading I've done, but what do I look for to tell?)

Seems the clutch sorted itself out. I took a longer ride than before, and the clutch is working smoothly now.

The smoking has gotten MUCH worse. Its worse than when I bought the bike to be honest. Its like having a dog you love, and you find out hes got a life threatening disease which is causing her a great deal of pain... feels like I need put her down.

After all the work I've done, this is like the worst feeling. Funny thing is I have no one to turn to cause everyone I know calls me when they can't figure out a automotive/motorcycle issue.

This just doesn't makes sense to me... New headgasket and valve stem seals, done correctly (I took my time followed my manual, and have done these things 100 times on other motors). Please don't think I'm being cocky, 25yrs of experience just makes me confident in my abilities. The only thing I can think of is that this motor has a higher lift cam which is causing the seals to be damaged...

So no comments or suggestions?

Hi Joe,

Question: does the smoking stop once the engine is warm?

I had the same problem on the LH cilinder. It is a not so well known problem that the spring in the oil scraper ring is not tight enough. I stretched the spring about 0,3 mm in length and the problem is gone. Take a look here!

http://www.steffi-graf.ch/

Look in XS650 and next in "nachspannen der ölabstreifringe"

Th pictures explain everything!

Kind regards, Hein

Thanks Hein, The motor actually fires up with NO smoke coming out, and as its warming up it smokes more and more.

I will look at the link you provided anyway, I like knowing as much as I can.

Back