Smoking from Left Pipe....

okwajosh

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I know there have been quite a few similar threads here but my 79' tracker is smoking something fierce on the left side only. Details of the build are below if it helps, I did pull the left header pipe and found a bunch of soot, and some oily residue coming up from the exhaust valve (not from the guide).

Mikes XS 750 KIT
VM 34 CARBS JETTED BY 650 CENTRAL
POWERDYNAMO CHARGING/IGNITION SYSTEM
K&N POD FILTERS

The bike runs great and I have zero issues other than the smoking.

Take a look in the intake, after it's sat for a while, see anything unusual? Mabie even swab with a Q-tip. Do a compression test.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Smoke is whitish/blue (seems like oil but not sure) clears out once warmed up for the most part. I've added a photo of the intake... not sure if that looks good or bad... there was raw fuel in there but I'd imagine thats normal. I didn't notice much in the way of sudden power loss, under high load the clutch slips but that needs to be replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_8106.JPG
    IMG_8106.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 210
OK yeah that looks OK a valve seal out of place or split will show an oil trail in the intake after sitting.
Is the oil staying reasonable clean or is it getting sooty quickly? Have you watched the crank vent tube for "excessive" blow by? How do the plugs look? What oil are you using?

Compression looks to be okay, 180psi per cylinder. I'm using Castrol 4T 10W 40 oil. Below is a pic of my plug on the left side... looks a bit black....

Attachments

• IMG_8113.JPG
    IMG_8113.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 195
Thanks for the replies everyone! Smoke is whitish/blue (seems like oil but not sure) clears out once warmed up for the most part. I've added a photo of the intake... not sure if that looks good or bad... there was raw fuel in there but I'd imagine thats normal. I didn't notice much in the way of sudden power loss, under high load the clutch slips but that needs to be replaced.[/QUOTE

Looks like someone installed bronze guides and did some port work. You either have guide issues,valve stem wear or guide seals. Passably bad rings also, but the oil residue in the port is from the latter of the three

Back