Smoke left exhaust after rebuild

vsop-dk

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone, ive looked through many threads covering similar issues, but havent seen one matching my situation, so...

Engine is 100% rebuild rephased 277 etc.. Carbs are Mikuni TM34-2 Flatslide

Im experiencing after a recomended breakin, that the left exhaust blow out White smoke when reving the gashandle.

The left plug are foul and a bit wet and so are the gasket for the plug and the threads are allso a bit oily.

The right plug seems better, allthough allso a bit foul.

So.. I know Things could have happened during my gentle breakin, glazing if it were too gentle... allso rings could not have seated yet... ive been driving roughly 500km so far..

Will I have to wait a bit, drive some more or what would recomended procedure be?

Allso, could it be carbs? or Timing that causes this perhaps?

Would love to hear some thoughts on this, thanks :bike:

Hey, vsop-dk. Your situation is most likely one or a combination of these 3 things:

- Excessively rich mixture, gasoline washing cylinders and diluting the oil.

- Oil pumping through the rings.

- Warped head/cylinder surface(s), allowing oil to enter cylinders by way of the camchain tunnel.

Did you retorque the head bolts/nuts?
Have you done a compression test?

Hi TwoMany, thanks for the response ;)

Yes kind of thought so that those three options were present.. None of them great.

I havent retorqued the head bolts/nuts yet is that now after 500km?

No compression test yet, im trying to lookup a compression test Tool for this purpose, any good suggestions?

Retorque? Yes.

Compression tester - The best are the screw-in types, with pressure hold/relief valve.
The cheaper rubber-cone-shaped, press-and-hold types can be difficult to use for first-timers...

Last edited:
Yes dang those time diffs. ;) anyhows.. ive been at the garage and retorqued to specs and some of the headbolts needed that.

the ones below the two plugs were hand Loose... guess that could cause the oil or White exhaust..

kickstarted the bike first try and tried revving a bit and it seemed to have eliminated some of the White smoke quite a bit..

hope its just excess thats burning now ;)

Thanks and have a good night sleep. :bike:

Yes, that's an excellent thread!

Well, I'm going to bury mine. It's nap time out here...:thumbsup:

Thanks, actually drove by street wise yesterday afternoon.. had the pleasure driving through our capital late last night, allmost car free zone ;)

cya around....

Back