So I got a free XS650

650Skull. I only have the bottom area soaking as my floats were covered in crap. The left float wouldn't move at first. It now moves up and down freely. I'm sure after sitting for over 20 years a rebuild will be required.

Not necessarily. A good clean of all jets and orifices and as long as no gaskets are broken there is no reason for a rebuild just yet. may be the shaft seals are gone but you won't know till you get it running, then test them for leaks.

Buying a carb kit is a wast of money, (Generic parts and probably not suited to your carb), just buy what parts you need.

In the worst case scenario, if you cant get a title you may be able to get a titled basket case or frame or just a neck.

Don't react to any troll type comments, only feeds them

Is there anyone here on the forum who will rebuild our carbs? On some of my other forum groups we have some guys like that. I have never had much luck setting up carbs!

I like to think that the hardest part to working on these carbs is getting them off the engine and out around the frame! OK, let's add the proper Phillips and Slot screw driver bits and a millimeter ruler. MMM at 650central.com is good to bounce needs off of as far a parts for the rebuild........or go with Oldskool..........

I like to think that the hardest part to working on these carbs is getting them off the engine and out around the frame! OK, let's add the proper Phillips and Slot screw driver bits and a millimeter ruler. MMM at 650central.com is good to bounce needs off of as far a parts for the rebuild........or go with Oldskool..........

Well we will see how they respond to the cleaning first. They were pretty bad. Some green corrosion from the brass parts. I don't think there are any holes in the floats but if not its close.

Did you give the float the hot water test? New float valves is always on my list.

So I got my carbs completely disassembled. Well almost. I cleaned everything up and lubed up my diaphrams with some silicone. Put that part back together. My floats are toast. I got the jets and the others bits clean. I just need floats I guess at this point. Mikes XS has them. Are his floats any good or should I look elsewhere? Also should I replace the float valve pin thingy's? I also have the tank soaking with 3 gallons of vinegar. Does the 72 petcock work only when there is a vacuum? I don't see a separate hookup for a line. when I turn them on nothing comes out. I'm sure I'll be replacing/rebuilding those too?

Sent a PM with a link for carb parts. Mikes has the floats but has 2 for sale, one is $17 and the other $30 and they both say, for the 70 and later type BS38"s. Also states one, ($17), may have to be bent to fit. Means it will have to be bent so............

Go to the link i gave you, look to be genuine Mikuni jets and the floats look good

Sent a PM with a link for carb parts. Mikes has the floats but has 2 for sale, one is $17 and the other $30 and they both say, for the 70 and later type BS38"s. Also states one, ($17), may have to be bent to fit. Means it will have to be bent so............

Go to the link i gave you, look to be genuine Mikuni jets and the floats look good

Thanks Skull

Back