So it begins. xs650 build

hermanlifer

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, thanks in advance for all the info I will gather from this forum. I have started a rebuild of an XS650. First build, not my first bike. I got lucky and found a half started project, so alot of work has been done for me. Someone worked on the frame, prepped the motor and collected a ton of parts and pieces. Now its mine and i am beyond excited. I am in no hurry, i want to get it right. Any advice, stories and bad jokes are welcome! I mean, where do i start? Haha, so much to do. The guy said it was a 78, the title says 83. Not sure yet what she is, but Its mine and its gonna be radical. I will post updates and questions often.Thanks,
Josh Herman.

20170520_120741.jpg
20170520_130512.jpg

Not a 78, at least the engine isnt. I believe yamaha started painting the engine blach in 82? I see a 650 badge on the cam covers, those are later. I see you painted it black, i also see the original black inside the clutch area. What is the vin on the neck? And on the engine?
Also, does the carb set have a knob for the choke? Or a attachment for a remote?

Well, using the info here I found that it is in fact an 83. Motor code 5v4-102418 shows its a 82/83 XS-K heritage. No knob on the choke.
Not sure why the ad said 78, I am not surprised. First things first, i gotta get the rear end fixed and painted. The previous owner hacked in an ugly coffin shape mini fender thing. Gonna remove that and set in a nice rear fender. Ive got the original so I will use that or at least use it as a template for a custom job.

Looks like a PO relocated the front tank mounts WAY up. Good luck and happy wrenching!

Hi Josh and welcome,
the photos and idents show you have an '83 XS650 Heritage Special that the PO hadn't yet completely FUBARed.
If the pile'o'parts contains the stock charging & ignition systems you are golden.
Note that the bike's TCI module is hidden underneath the battery box.
Oddly, that's a good place because the battery box is completely rubber-mounted so items mounted to it don't see the full force of the engine vibration.
The '83 didn't have a choke knob. It had a Bowden cable that went to a tweaker arm under the leftside handlebar control.
Until the cheap nasty plastic thing self-destructed after about 6 months use.
The cable on my Heritage now operates from a Docherty bar-mounted tweaker that came off a 1950s Royal Enfield and still looks as good as new.
The gas tank mounting ears can be easily relocated back to where they should be but the frame's missing rear end will take some creative effort to replace.
Perhaps it's the camera angle (or my failing eyesight) but the swingarm looks like it's been lengthened? If so that'll further complicate the frame resto.
Hopefully you have the brake parts as well as the fenders?
I'd rather ride a hardtail than a bike with no front brake and I really dislike riding hardtails.
The XS650 front fender is also a fork brace and the XS650 fork rigidity is kinda ho-hum even with the fender bracing it.
Good luck with the build.

I am still creating an inventory of parts, the brakes are present, and the majority of the necessary items are there. There is even a bit of new parts too( pegs, levers, grips, lights, shocks, handlebars and controls...way too much to list.) I have two tanks also. My shop is shrinking before my eyes!

Looks like a sweet build. Are you going to continue with the brat style build

Hi Jmann,
a Bratstyle frame mod may be fashionable but check out post#1 to estimate Josh's height and leg length.
For a person of that build to sit on a Bratstyled frame they'd have to be folded up like a carpenter's ruler.
If Josh plans to sell the bike on to some fashion-conscious shortarse, completing the Bratstyle mod is fine.
If he wants it to ride the bike himself, best he repairs the frame such that the seat will be back in it's usual place.

Looks like a sweet build. Are you going to continue with the brat style build
Yeah, it would be a lot of work to restore the frame...and i like the brat style when it's done right. Still so much work to do but I am dreaming up some pretty cool ideas for paint and a theme.

Hi Jmann,
a Bratstyle frame mod may be fashionable but check out post#1 to estimate Josh's height and leg length.
For a person of that build to sit on a Bratstyled frame they'd have to be folded up like a carpenter's ruler.
If Josh plans to sell the bike on to some fashion-conscious shortarse, completing the Bratstyle mod is fine.
If he wants it to ride the bike himself, best he repairs the frame such that the seat will be back in it's usual place.

Yeah, i figured from the start that my 6'2" ass isnt gonna be to comfy on the frame.. At this point i am building the bike for fun, I dont know if It will be for me when it is done. I am a single dad to a four year old, never have any chance to ride anyhow. I work on electronics, running my own repair shop here in Portland, so I am also going to use this experience to expand my business into motorcycle wiring repairs, upgrades and custom work.

Yeah, it would be a lot of work to restore the frame...and i like the brat style when it's done right. Still so much work to do but I am dreaming up some pretty cool ideas for paint and a theme.
Looking forward to seeing more. Im in the process of building a brat right now. Waiting on my cylinders to come back from being bored out to 700

[QUOTE="figure8, post: You can do a brat and not be completely cramped, here's mine from when I had just finished it.[/QUOTE]
Looks awesome! Any tips on the rear fender. the funky little one the PO created is welded onto the rear end. Is that typical, or should it be bolted to mounts? I have not found good pictures yet of a proper tail end up close.

[QUOTE="figure8, post: You can do a brat and not be completely cramped, here's mine from when I had just finished it.
Looks awesome! Any tips on the rear fender. the funky little one the PO created is welded onto the rear end. Is that typical, or should it be bolted to mounts? I have not found good pictures yet of a proper tail end up close.[/QUOTE]
I just used the stock front xs fender on the back, works well. I can post up some pics later how it mounted.

Sounds like you have a plan both for personal creativity and to expand business potential.
Good luck on your build and welcome to the site.

[QUOTE="figure8, post: You can do a brat and not be completely cramped, here's mine from when I had just finished it.
Looks awesome! Any tips on the rear fender. the funky little one the PO created is welded onto the rear end. Is that typical, or should it be bolted to mounts? I have not found good pictures yet of a proper tail end up close.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure the rear fenders are all bolt on. I'm guessing your frame may have been modified beyond having those mounting points. I don't have my rear fender on there anymore, so I can't take a pic to help you out, but someone probably does. Good luck!

Well, I yanked off the swing arm, gotta chop this ugly fender off and fab a new fender mounting system. I like the battery box/ fender combo..may go that route. This has got some tabs and a funky bracket that dont appear in the manuals exploded diagram or on any pictures ive seen...so im choppin that crap off.
20170527_103853.jpg
20170527_103840.jpg
20170527_103828.jpg

was the plastic inner fender not there? could be the reason. that little tapped hole is one of the mounting points for the chain guard.

Back