So much for Cycle World

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I have had a subscription to Cycle World on and off now since 1975. Today I got my new issue and I knew before I cracked the cover what had just happened....the magazine was unusually thick, the paper stock was heavier, it went from being a traditional folded and stapled magazine to a square edge binding. I looked at it and turned to my wife and said, “I’ll bet you this is no longer a monthly magazine.”

I opened the cover and sure enough. The editorial in the front of the mag said a bunch of stuff about the realities of the publishing business, blah blah blah....
Bottom line is they are now a quarterly and they are trying to push you to their website where I’m sure the advertising pays more and the overhead is less.

So for me, it was a good run, but I won’t renew my subscription. The same for Motorcyclist magazine, fewer issues, less content. They try to sell you on the new look and the heavy stock paper. Who cares, I read it once and throw them in the recycle bin.

This seems like a trend, for me at least, the internet has changed everything. In the last few years I’ve had my land line house phone discontinued, canceled my newspaper and my cable TV. Ah....progress.

Did something last week that I haven't done in a long time.

Bought a newspaper.

Ahhh, memories...

Newspapers, enjoy them while you can. I used to love reading the morning paper, but our newspaper got up to over $40 per mo. and had gotten so thin it was a joke. They gave up the B section to USA Today , so it had very little local content. They also created an online version of the paper and they were trying to push everyone to subscribe to their “virtual” paper. Bah Humbug!

Did something last week that I haven't done in a long time.

Bought a newspaper.

Ahhh, memories...
We used facebook data to profile you and create the headline that made you buy that paper. Not to mention how you vote and what you buy from Grainger. I have designed your reality and wrapped you in it.

I have had a subscription to Cycle World on and off now since 1975. Today I got my new issue and I knew before I cracked the cover what had just happened....the magazine was unusually thick, the paper stock was heavier, it went from being a traditional folded and stapled magazine to a square edge binding. I looked at it and turned to my wife and said, “I’ll bet you this is no longer a monthly magazine.”

I opened the cover and sure enough. The editorial in the front of the mag said a bunch of stuff about the realities of the publishing business, blah blah blah....
Bottom line is they are now a quarterly and they are trying to push you to their website where I’m sure the advertising pays more and the overhead is less.

So for me, it was a good run, but I won’t renew my subscription. The same for Motorcyclist magazine, fewer issues, less content. They try to sell you on the new look and the heavy stock paper. Who cares, I read it once and throw them in the recycle bin.

This seems like a trend, for me at least, the internet has changed everything. In the last few years I’ve had my land line house phone discontinued, canceled my newspaper and my cable TV. Ah....progress.

Yup...my thoughts too about Cycle World's new 'coffee table' rag. They are run by the same company as Motorcyclist. I have had a subscription since '70ish to both, also had a Cycle sub.
When MC changed their monthly to a by-monthly, I was just waiting for Cycle World to do the same.
I also subscribed to Hot Rod for 3 years for $20. Hadn't seen a HR for years, but for $20 (that's 36 issues or about 56c per...I also got a watch!) They started sending me emails and wanted me to change from the hard copy to digital. I asked if this was for both and they said no, so I am receiving HR monthly. I also 'subscribe' to a local newspaper. Since I worked there for 35 years, they 'gave' me a lifetime subscription. They also want me to change to digital....fat chance. I get the Sunday comics. LOL

When I take-up (or re-enter) a new hobby or activity, I typically do a lot of reading to learn what is going on, who the players are and what stuff is good/bad etc. That means that I often subscribe to several magazines (my wife would dispute the term "several").

When I bought my ST1300 in the fall of 2015, I had subscribed to Cycle World because that was what I read when I was into bikes before in the 1970s-80s. I still found the magazine reasonably relevant and useful - mainly as a source of tests and articles on what sort of gear and farkles to buy, where to get them and at what sort of price-point. I also subscribed to Road Runner, Rider, Motorcyclist and some other darned thing which I cannot remember right now, but they mainly seemed to contain articles about other people's trips. Some of those can be OK, but usually I find them to be tiresome recitations of this restaurant or that woolen mill tour.

The travelogues we get from Dude and Mailman and some others on this XS650.com forum are MUCH more interesting and relevant and far better written, plus their photos are much nicer. I always turn to those threads when they pop-up and have never been disappointed by what I found and learned through the eyes of those wonderful folks.

So, in conclusion, +1 here on the new Cycle World and Motorcyclist. What a pair of duds - I won't be renewing. I have no interest in riding the latest H-D / Indian / Massive Nippon Tourer or zillion-dollar BMW / Ducati / Aprilia / Linguini on some fancy-@ss wine & cheese tour while wearing $3487 worth of bespoke boots/biking suit etc... I have traveled enough, and plenty of it has been on a motorcycle, that I know how to plan a trip and how to have, what I find to be, fun on it. Similarly, on all of the other magazines - I have stopped learning anything from them and simply am not interested in the content they offer. Too bad really - but they have made themselves irrelevant and I will be saving myself a hundred or so dollars annually from here-on in.

On the positive side, I also subscribed to a couple of excellent British magazines:
  • Practical Sport Bikes which is all about resurrecting and riding Japanese road bikes of the 1990s and,
  • Classical Motorcycle Mechanics which is about working on and restoring older bikes plus some very nicely written history articles.
I really like those mags because they show how to do big and little jobs on my bikes - with good text and photos and tips. They really are very well done. Last month's issue of CMM had a feature on the 1971 Yamaha XS1B (I think I got that right) - which was superb and relevant to the current restorations underway among members of this forum.

Frankly, it was the same when I re-started my model airplane hobby in about 1998 after about 15 years away from it. I subscribed to a bunch of magazines but quickly found that the North American mags were all about pre-built styrofoam models which look pretty impressive and can even be made to fly fairly well - but take no skill whatsoever to build. Really, any pimply-faced teeney-twit who has access to his mommy's Visa card can buy and crash one of those foamies every day of the week. Conversely, I found a number of British magazines that contained useful how-to articles and even full-sized plans for the type of scale aircraft I love to build using actual wood and glue. The difference between the two approaches to the hobby was - stark - and my purchasing choices going forward were very clear.

The only gripes I have are that for both the RC aircraft and the motorcycles, we cannot get some of the stuff that is advertised and described in the British magazines and when they have a cool offer to attract new subscribers, they are only available to UK addresses.

C'mon guys - Canada is part of the British Commonwealth! What the heck else do we get for that?

Dammit.

Last edited:
We used facebook data to profile you and create the headline that made you buy that paper. Not to mention how you vote and what you buy from Grainger...

For years I've relied on subliminal messages, then updated to a cranial implant in February. But, they said it would be 3-4 months before they could get me online.

... I have designed your reality and wrapped you in it.

Thankyew so much for bumping me to the front of the line!

The "senility subroutine" works great...

Cycle World changed their format sometime ago... I decided then to let the subscription expire. Yesterday I got the renewal notice and the big " 1st " edition. I'm sure when they had that board meet'n to change the format they were slap'n each others backs and pass'n out cigars. I think their marketing study research let them down. I felt the new format left me ..I didn't leave Cycle World. I still get Motorcycle Classics and Rider at my door.
I still visit the few book stores in the area and check out the transposition section. I like a few of the Uk publications.. pricy.. but I pick one up on occasion. Mostly for the different input from other riders.. editors ....contributors.

I've found that "The Horse - Backstreet Choppers" magazine has gone downhill as of late, but are going through re-organization. They feature bikes of all makes, including our beloved Xs650s. Still readable and relevant. And lately, I've picked up "Cycle Source". Very similar content. These magazines (along with this forum, not to mention 'Xs650Chopper' and 'Chop Cult') have given me lots of inspiration for my builds. More knowledge is....well, more knowledge. To paraphrase Frank Zappa, print "isn't dead, it just smells funny"....

There hasn't been a print magazine for bikes, cars or trucks that I'd give you a quarter for in years. All picture essays and glitz, damned little content and what there is is mostly a thinly disguised advertisement for somebody.

I do like Revzilla's E-zine, shows up in my email every couple of weeks. Always find one or two articles that are at least somewhat interesting, and a lot of times the comments are more fun than the articles.

I too gave up my CW subscription a few years ago. It frankly their articles were repetitions of the same stuff, over & over again, with new bike reviews that were cut & past from the manufactures press releases. Motorcyclist got the ax last year.

I've found that "The Horse - Backstreet Choppers" magazine has gone downhill as of late, but are going through re-organization. They feature bikes of all makes, including our beloved Xs650s. Still readable and relevant. And lately, I've picked up "Cycle Source". Very similar content. These magazines (along with this forum, not to mention 'Xs650Chopper' and 'Chop Cult') have given me lots of inspiration for my builds. More knowledge is....well, more knowledge. To paraphrase Frank Zappa, print "isn't dead, it just smells funny"....
I have dropped all my subscription except Cycle Source, they have become a great rag and contiune to be relivent to what we as vintage and custom loving motorcyclist are all about IMHO.

This is a blog post by Mike Seate of Cafe Racer Magazine. Thought it was very informative. I'm also a fan of his magazine (See caferacermag.com to get an idea of what they're about).

Not Dead, Just Yet
issueone-200x300.jpg

Our Humble Beginnings, Nearly Ten Years Old and Still Kicking

The death of print may be greatly exaggerated in these digitally-obsessed times, but my, what a strange era in which to publish a motorbike magazine. Case in a very large script point: the country’s largest circulation motorcycle magazine, Cycle World has just announced a switch to quarterly publishing, reducing from twelve to four the number of magazines it will print each year. For those keeping score, Cycle World was gobbled up by the European media conglomerate Bonnier Corporation a while back and the voracious firm’s appetite didn’t stop there. Shortly thereafter, Bonnier feasted upon most of the biggest motorcycle titles in existence, adding Street Chopper, Motorcycle Cruiser, Motorcyclist, Sport Rider and Dirt Rider to its impressive portfolio. Many of these titles have previously been owned by large, publicly-traded corporations, but bringing them all together under one umbrella – and forcing previously competing journalists to work side-by-side in one office -was about as unprecedented as a right-side kickstarter.

I have something of a inside line of all this business having once had an extensive telephone meeting with Bonnier’s Andrew Leisner, the bigwig running their motorcycle magazine division. He informed he that Bonnier considers print journalism so post mortem that they’d decided as early as 2015 to kill off all their paper magazines in a few short years, convinced that Internet content is the wave of the future. That struck me as odd as in today’s rapidly-changing media landscape, new platforms are introduced and disappear faster than you can say MySpace. Bonnier is so convinced that Americans are through thumbing magazine pages that they’ve decided to kill print editions of off-road bible “Dirt Rider” and “Sport Rider” while they’re also combing cruiser/V-Twin titles “Baggers” and “Hot Bike” into a single bi-monthly magazine.

Now, if you’re in our particular pair of boots, this is a bold- and some would say, foolhardy move. Mr. Leisner has not noticed the continued growth in both circulation and advertising sales of many print magazines from fashion titles to sports and special-interest publications. Sure, the population’s appetite for print has diminished, especially among Millinneals who are fairly addicted to smartphone and loath to look beyond their palms for much of anything. But we at Cafe Racer really dig the permanence and tactile feel of traditional magazines, which provide a source of factual information, gorgeous imagery and convenience that a three-inch cellphone screen can never match. WE still get giddy at the arrival of our favorite print titles in the mail which is far more than we can say about attempting to maneuver the clutter ad advertising scrum that is Cycleworld.com. The future of all this is, like last night’s Super Bowl, hard to predict, but as long as folks are reading Cafe Racer, we’ll keep the paper coming.

Sad to hear. I was a sub for many years but not for at least 10. Same for motorcyclist. My fav bike mag has been Rider for 20+ years. Somehow they just seem more mauture? But not that that applies to me!

Jradvantage,

That was a great article, and VERY revealing!
Thanks for posting that!
You have to love giant corporations that swallow everything and THEN change everything!
View attachment 115451
I, too have been forced to give up the daily newspaper delivered to the house. The paper kept getting smaller and the price kept going up. I did spring for the online version of the newspaper to stay up to date with what's going on in the area. I find that with the online version I don't read nearly as much. Sports, obits, a miscellaneous article or two, and that's about it. I used to sit at the table and read the paper while I ate breakfast. I will not do that with a smart phone or iPad. I work on a computer all day, so why would I want to spend any more time doing that (unless I'm perusing this site). I much prefer reading magazines and newspapers. If an article catches my eye, I read it. I just don't do that online. And the ads...don't get me started. So now, the magazines I do receive end up in a small stack near the kitchen table. Rituals die hard. End of rant.

jr,
I'm hearing ya. We get the Sunday paper only. The wife and I have different interests, and they are well served with just once-a-week delivery. That and the coupons are worth the price of admission for me (liquor stores, Harbor Freight, etc.).

Back