So thats why the clutch was dragging

Signal

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
The other weekend on the start line at high revs the clutch in the sidecar started to grab. I suspected that the basket tangs might be worn excessively from the hard starts.

Tonight after removing the cover it was a mixture of good and bad news. The clutch basket is not too bad and there are no broken springs but one clutch plate as flown apart and the nuts holding the cush assembly together have been rubbing on the case.

It could have been much worse. Now is a good opportunity to fix that starter spring while it’s apart as at this stage it’s looking like a strip down and clean out job.
2016_0912 clutch compressed.jpg
2016_0912Clutch compresed 2.jpg

Many of the fracture lines are at the corner stress points of the tabs. I've been collecting various clutch plates and have been finding variations in the tabs, mostly in edge quality and tab widths, as much as 0.008" (0.2mm) narrower. Might be something to look for in aftermarket plates...
SignalClutchFailure.jpg

ClutchTabEdge.jpg

Last edited:
Good diagnostics 2M thank you. Will check the tab widths carefully when re-assembling.

WOW!! You know that could have been a holy MESS in there if some of those parts would have worked into the right position, I'd say that was a case of dodging a bullet!
2MX, I have never seen a guy as on the ball for finding the "little things" about after-market products as you. It really is a joy to have you here for your Sleuth work and troubleshooting skills! I have personally benifitted from your time spent working on those things..
YES you are appreciated.

Thanx, Orion61. That "tabs" pic I was able to recover from my stupidphone, the annotated one lost in the tablet crash.

The bottom tab is of an OEM clutch plate, a bit thicker and wider, fits closely and smoothly into the basket's finger-slots. It's edges appear to be machined.

The upper tab is of one of the aftermarket plates, about 0.008" narrower, bit sloppier fit in the basket finger-slot, and the edges look like casting flash, not smooth at all...

Back