So which model XS do I have...?

radxs650,
The One pic we have seen of you 79 looks clearly to be the 79 "F" Standard.
This model did have the black painted gauge and headlight buckets which can easily be switched for the Special model chrome. 20181217_053237.jpg
I've done this to two standards just because I like the look.

I am very curious as to whether your stock gauges are the green faced "standard" gauges or the black faced "special" style.
Any pics ? :D
gggGary ? What's on your 79F ?

gggGary ! What is this ?xsstuff 025.jpg
I had no idea you had a 78e stashed in Barbaroo.. as MaxPete would say "dammit im coming over"
Thx for the pics - RT

78 had a holed piston, it's been gone a while now. Death by 2 into 1 pipe, w stock jets.
PO; "Worked fine til the road trip" LOL

Holy $h!t...! All good info and input, you guys are great but you're are gonna make my head explode...! .

The build date of my XS is July/1978, I bought it as a '79. Is it...? And it is an "F", correct...?

Note the side cover "OHC 650" however, no rear bar that is in the brochure that 650skull posted, a great deal of changes can happen in nearly forty years.

cGG6HL.jpg

This is the gauge set that is on mine...

XRkLA0.jpg

Thanks,
Rob

Says 79 to me, which is in keeping with the build date as an early 79. Tank stripe and side cover emblem also say 79, the seat cover is not original.

79 survivor 012.JPG

Grab bar probably had to come off to fit that neat little luggage rack. Speaking of which, we'd love to see more detail pics of that. Most racks are quite monstrous and ugly.

Says 79 to me, which is in keeping with the build date as an early 79. Tank stripe and side cover emblem also say 79, the seat cover is not original.

View attachment 131649
Ahh, Interesting, just the cover or the foam and all due the height difference...
I do see that the one you posted is more stepped. Is that a Special...?

Grab bar probably had to come off to fit that neat little luggage rack. Speaking of which, we'd love to see more detail pics of that. Most racks are quite monstrous and ugly.

Agreed, the rack prolly took the spot that the grab bar. It is not a great fit, has some red chrome too... I'll take a shot of it.

Ahh, Interesting, just the cover or the foam and all due the height difference...
I do see that the one you posted is more stepped. Is that a Special...?
nope that's the correct 79 standard seat, a one year only part. The pan didn't change from 74 to 79 your cover looks like it might be a tour master. foam may have been changed to fit that cover.

Wow, I did not even realize how rusted that thing is until I put a flash on it taking a photo... Holy crap, I guess I'll either re-dip it or powder coat it.

Anyway, the rack needs another mounting point, the PO or someone instlled the rack with just thost two pivoting points and even went to the trouble of taping a rubber bumper onto the bottom of the very back of it so that it could rest on the tail light...! o_O

That tab in front will serve as a mounting point which I will probably use as a bow to the other mounting holes or bend it down slightly and extend a piece of flat bar up under the seat to secure it there, maybe down to the tail light upper bolt... dunno, not sure yet.

You can see also where the rack has already punctured the very back of the seat by that tab... :(

gLH8Gk.jpg

Sos1qJ.jpg

Where the Rack is bolted to the frame it has home made extensions to take the Rear indicators.

Usually there is a chrome bracket that is held on to the fame with the guard bolt and this takes the indicators...........
Rear indicator brackets.jpg

.this is removed if the grab-rail is used and the indicators are incorporated into the grab-rail

79 original rear chrome grab rail. Although it seems to not be on all at them ? Curious here too

Attachments

• 20181220_062226.jpg
    20181220_062226.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 196
Back