So which model XS do I have...?

radxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Little confused here... I know, that's not hard to do.

I want to buy a shop manual, looked at the Haynes manual and although they are ok, I have located an actual Yamaha Owner's Service Manual and I like to have as close to factory books as possible. The problem is that I do not know whether the book covers what I have for an XS... I could be making too much of this also.
The manual calls out the following models" E, SE, SF... and supplements for the SE.

I have a '79 XS650. How do I tell what model XS I have...? Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill...?

Oh, you do have a fairly extensive Tech Section here... pretty cool.

Thanks,
Rob

Take the vin.. visit Mile's XS... they have a section with vin numbers and years/model. Is yours a Standard or Special....?

You should be good, a 79 is either an F standard, an SF Special, or a Special II it'll have points iggy and mechanical regulator. That manual will cover about all the bases.

Yamaha started adding a letter designation to the 650s in '74 (TX650A). That would make your '79 an "F" model. The "S" in the model code designates the Special models (SE, SF, SG, etc.). Standard models like yours just got the single letter designation, in your case an "F". So, your official model number is a 1979 XS650F.

Yamaha only published full manuals every couple of years. In between years got a supplement detailing any differences in that particular year. You used it in combination with the last full manual that was published. 1978 (E model) was the last full manual published previous to your '79 model so that manual you're looking at is what you want. I don't think there even is a supplement for your Standard F model because other than some cosmetic differences, it is the same as the '78 E Standard model.

full

Also, Yamaha titled their manuals both in years and models. On the left the 78-80 which covers all models made in those yrs. And on the right, a one yr. only manual for the 78 standard and special.

IMG_20181216_112820.jpg

Must be blind!!!........... couldn't find a vin chart on MikesXS......

If he still uses the one he used to use it is wrong.........They have 2 models using 2F0 250*** and one model 4F0 250***.........Thee is no 4F0 model and only one model has the vin no's starting 250***

Over the last 8 years used this sites members, when they joined, to confirm and verify vin no's against a Vin chart i was given from https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/ ( have a look down the left side and there are PDF files for all Yamaha Service manuals), and have posted the Vin Chart in the Garage section under "XS650 Model Identification/Year/VIN, Workshop Manuals, and Other Information" The thread is locked so haven't been able to update the Vin PDF file or Vin JPEG pics. There are notes on the PDF file with the vin no's i confirmed against the models and the verification was done with pics of the bike and of the Vin sticker and manufacturing date.

This is the last updated PDF Vin PDF file

Attachments

• ID Chart PDF 27-10-2015.pdf
    817 KB · Views: 291
Must be blind!!!........... couldn't find a vin chart on MikesXS......

If he still uses the one he used to use it is wrong.........They have 2 models using 2F0 250*** and one model 4F0 250***.........Thee is no 4F0 model and only one model has the vin no's starting 250***

Over the last 8 years used this sites members, when they joined, to confirm and verify vin no's against a Vin chart i was given from https://thexscafedotcom.wordpress.com/ ( have a look down the left side and there are PDF files for all Yamaha Service manuals), and have posted the Vin Chart in the Garage section under "XS650 Model Identification/Year/VIN, Workshop Manuals, and Other Information" The thread is locked so haven't been able to update the Vin PDF file or Vin JPEG pics. There are notes on the PDF file with the vin no's i confirmed against the models and the verification was done with pics of the bike and of the Vin sticker and manufacturing date.

This is the last updated PDF Vin PDF file
I found it, sorry to be a PITA... I have a Standard.

An excerpt from the chart on Mikesxs:

Model ID Info
1979XS650F2F0 2G62F0-020101Colbalt Blue

My Frame S/N is : 2F0-021231

Also, Yamaha titled their manuals both in years and models. On the left the 78-80 which covers all models made in those yrs. And on the right, a one yr. only manual for the 78 standard and special.

View attachment 131579

Well this one does not call out the "F" for 1979... How much different is the '79 Standard "F" from the 1979 "E"...?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS6...ual/273555490776?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

The one that you posted states specifically that it covers 78-80, I should take that as all models...?

Thanks,
rad

78 was the E... a 79 is an F
And yes, 78 to 80... all models.

It's a complete XS650E manual.... with a XS650SE supplement. Notice the "SE" and "Supplement" are a smaller font

As 5twins pointed out, there ain't a Nickle's worth of difference 'tween the E and F models. I only need the book on the left 'cause it covers the E and F as well as my SG. If you don't have any other luck... I'd be willing to part with the yellow manual. I never use it anyway.

Last edited:
Well that's an interesting question.... I was jus' gonna flat out say yes, but then looked at the index of my book. The sup's are for the SF and 2F... WTF?
I suspect it will, but perhaps someone else can chime in here and tell us what the 2F is. Maybe a 79 Special II?

IMG_20181216_172503.jpg

IMG_20181216_172521.jpg

792F is the 79SII Spoke wheel 79SF model
79F...............................................79SF...........................................792F or SII
10429349_604345696358350_4825244195630494932_n.jpg 1 1k.jpg 24838-1461633759-32db57626ccc23c72c03ff6f6e1ba87f.jpg

main diference between the 78E and 79F is the gauges.
78E............................................79F
4 78E.JPG 6 79 F.jpg

So Doug.... looks like my manual sup's skip the F and goes from the E to the G? Is that how you're reading it?

There was a change part the way through the E model.......As your pic shows the E supplement EPA..........

Yea read it as you do.

MikesXS ID chart with the changes to the vin no's..............my ID Chart. Can see the change in the E model at the production no's
MikesXS ID Chart copyText.jpg ....................................................................ID Chart  27-10-15  01.jpg

I don't think you'll find an "F" supplement because it's basically the same model as the "E". I don't think they ever published one. If you're shopping for a manual, don't buy just the supplement. It's only a small manual (15 or 20 pages) covering any differences in your particular model. It is supposed to be combined with and used with the last full manual published, in your case the full 1978 E model manual.

I consider the '78-'80 manual one of the best. '80 was a big change year (BS34 carbs, electronic ignition) so this manual give info on that stuff, plus all the info for the earlier models (points ignition, separate reg and rec, BS38 carbs).

Skulls examples of 79 models did surprise me as to the 79F having black faced "special" style gauges .
The 78 "standard" gauges being green faced read up to 140 mph . Never did understand why .
6 79 F.jpg 20181217_053206.jpg

Back