Some cafe questions

smiles79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello all,

Recently I've become very interested in making my xs650 into something of a cafe racer. Unfortunately, college takes away most of money so I don't have a whole hell of a lot to spend. With that being said, I have a few questions for you.

1. Cafe seats are expensive. Would it be much cheaper to make own? And if so, how involved of a process is it?

2. Are rear sets pretty much required? I realized it would probably make the bike more comfortable, but would the bike be comfortable enough with the stock pegs?

3. What kind of handlebars are all of you running? I'm thinking clubmans, what do those of you that use them think?

Thanks!

Last edited:
1. If you make your own, it probably won't be less expensive but you made it. To me , anything you can do yourself adds to the personal value.

2. I don't think anything is required. Unless you are entering some sort of contest for café racers. Pretty sure stock pegs will be more comfy.

3. Depends on the look you are going for. Personal preference adds to the personality of your bike.

I usually make my own cafe seats from foam and fiberglass. I use closed cell racing foam for padding and leave them without covering. That is cheap and you know they will fit your bike.

My first seat I made sucked. You can make your own seat. There are some how-to articles around just have to search for them. I ride with stock pegs and a set of clubman bars. It's ok setup but I'm switching bars to a tracker style for more comfort.

Tracker style bars I think is also similar to euro or super bike bars. They are mild low bars that are usually considered more comfortable than club mans or clip ons but still fit in well with a vintage look I think. They won't bend you in half if you keep the mid controls.

Building your own seat seems like time vs money kind of thing. If you have the time and means to modify the mounts and do a little foam and fiber it could be real cheap dollar wise. You can also just strip the pad and cover off your stock seat and reshape it.

I reshaped my '81 seat pad if you want to check it out. I also have the super bike bars. http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32361

I went for the bug eye style seat for my cafe. That plus upholstery and light was about $240. I would have rather made my own but I am also in school full time and finding the time to make my own isnt an option at the moment. And I just integrated the turn signals into my tail light.

The bars I have are clubmans I like the look and feel of those for my build more than tracker bars but a tracker build is on the list soon after my hardtail is done.

I run the stock mid control set up. I looked into rear sets and I cant justify the price vs function. Personally the stock setup works just fine for me.

Thanks everyone, you've really helped. I'm considering buying some clubmans, 335mm shocks, and putting the stock forks back on before too long!

I run emgo 335mm on mine gives it a solid stance. The 365mm would give it a more sport bike style stance but im only 5'8 so the 335 work well for me.

I can't remember the place I bought this seat from, I do remember it was $175 before paint, the high density foam was from the same place. The foam works for now, but a better more road worthy butt pad is in the plan. My cafe tail is also mounted using some of the original mounts, not a chunck of plywood (still have the factory rear hoop too!):).

:D For rearsets I used '83 Magna V45 pegs on stock mounts....... and made my own HEEL pegs! Comfortable cruising but my whole foot is supported when tucked down instead of cramping from pressing the balls of my feet to stay high on the pegs. Oh, I don't have to move my pegs... or anything to use the kicker:D

I've also got clubmans, with anti-vibe bar ends in the inner portion.

.....standard length shocks here....

Attachments

• S4023525.JPG
    S4023525.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 257
  • S4023526.JPG
    S4023526.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 248
  • S4023527.JPG
    S4023527.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 225
  • S4022644.JPG
    S4022644.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 239
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 266
I can't remember the place I bought this seat from, I do remember it was $175 before paint, the high density foam was from the same place. The foam works for now, but a better more road worthy butt pad is in the plan. My cafe tail is also mounted using some of the original mounts, not a chunck of plywood (still have the factory rear hoop too!):).

That seat looks great! It's too bad you don't recall where you got it... do you by chance have any profile shots with the seat on the bike?

Thanks,

-Tico

Check out dime city cycles website. They posted some cool videos in their blog, one showing how to make a cafe seat. Make your own. You don't want one off the shelf. It needs to fit the flow and form of your bike. The slope of the tank should be echoed by the tail, like the seat was scooped out from the top of the bike. You will have a hard time getting that off the shelf.

Yep, I totally agree and plan on making my own, as what i want doesn't exist as far I can see...some are close, but not perfect. However, i also dont have a lot of time these days and i will need to learn to lay glass and body work (which I know will take a few tries to get it right) ....so short term, I'm looking for something to tide me over while I work on my technique. This way, I get to ride my bike, and work on the seat without rushing it.

I think the glass part is easy enough. Painting has quite the curve. There is lots of info available. Just got to search it out. If you have your stock seat still, buy some vinyl and spray glue. It is pretty easy to reshape foam with a common serrated kitchen knife. I shaped one with a knife and then sanded it with an angle grinder to smooth it out. Spray the foam with glue, spray the vinyl, and stretch it on tight and smooth. The better you do the foam, the cleaner the vinyl will look. It doesn't take long, and might cost you $10 in supplies. If you need a grinder, $30 will get the job done.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    292.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 207
I think the glass part is easy enough. Painting has quite the curve. There is lots of info available. Just got to search it out. If you have your stock seat still, buy some vinyl and spray glue. It is pretty easy to reshape foam with a common serrated kitchen knife. I shaped one with a knife and then sanded it with an angle grinder to smooth it out. Spray the foam with glue, spray the vinyl, and stretch it on tight and smooth. The better you do the foam, the cleaner the vinyl will look. It doesn't take long, and might cost you $10 in supplies. If you need a grinder, $30 will get the job done.
Great tips HERD, I'm excited to start working on it.

Back