Somehow made myself a problem, 72 XS2

fullercameron

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I pulled the bike into the shop a couple of weeks ago so I could take care of a few things that I felt needed attention after the first season of riding the bike. It had been running really great. There were a couple of small oil leaks and it would pop a bit on deceleration, but otherwise rode very well since August.

In order to fix the oil leaks, I retorqued the head (had a small weep between head and cylinders on left side), removed ATU and housing to replace camshaft seal gasket and o-ring, and replaced sprockets and retorqued countershaft sprocket and replaced the locktab to fix leak.

I removed my starter which didn't function as well as the starter solenoid. Removed associated gears under the cover and use a freeze plug to seal the opening.

I wanted to remove the decompressor cover since the bike was now kick only, so I replace the cover with a later 4-hole cover and cut the decompressor lever off of the RH switch and massaged it out with a file so it looks like stock only without the lever and switch wiring.

Last, to work on the popping on deceleration, I replaced the throttle seals (the outboard seal on each carb was essentially brittle plastic) and replaced the carb holders with new units from JBM.

Got the bike back together and it won't start. So I started going through the steps.

I have checked:
camchain adjustment - set flush while cold
valve adjustment - .003 intake, .006 exhaust
Point gap - LS .015, RS .013
Static Timing - Both sets of points checked w/ ohm meter for points to open between [f] marks.
Advance rod lubed and springs checked for proper snap back

Carbs - rechecked and cleaned all passages, double checked that throttle plates were centered by loosening throttle plate screws slightly and snapping throttle spring a few times to double check that it is centered, then retightened. Both carbs are filling with gas and floats are set correctly. Rechecked mixture settings (3/4 turn out)

I am running a 45 pilot jet and 130 main (both were working great before all of this). I was one up on the pilot because I have pods and open exhaust and it seemed to run better this way (May have also been compensating for the air leak at the throttle seals).

I replaced the gaskets when I put on the new carb holders and all surfaces were clean and smooth.

I thought it might be possible that I unhooked something in the shuffle, so I double checked all of the wiring connections - all were ok. I was worried that removing something in the starter solenoid or switch wiring did something, but I have checked and I have spark on both sides (looks pretty blue to me), so I believe that all of the wiring is fine.

Just as a precaution I ohm'd out both coils and they were within specs (I am still running stock style replacement coils).

Checked voltage at the points with the ignition on and kill switch open and was getting 11.8 volts at the points with a full battery at 12.9 volts. Charged the battery last night.

If I sit there kicking it for a half hour, It will pop every once in a while. Sounded like it was coming out of the exhaust. Pulled the plugs and it appears that after a lot of kicking they are getting wet - which I expected. The left plug gets wetter, but the bike it on the side stand so this seems to seem like it makes sense to me with gravity and everything(I am open to this being an issue if someone thinks it is).

Also, as a precaution, I thought that there was some possibility that I had somehow switched the coil wiring around or put the advance rod in 180 degrees out, so I switched the plug wires to see if it would fire the other way - nothing.

Tomorrow I will be grabbing a new set of plugs and a compression tester so I can check the compression.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Could I have put the disk in the middle of the ATU in wrong? Could this be causing this problem? I am going to double check the index mark on the disk and ATU to make sure they line up tomorrow as well.

Could this be a carb problem related to the new throttle shaft seals?

This is a giant pain in the ass. I was totally stoked all season that I had managed to rebuild this engine and get everything going with so few glitches - somehow in my quest to get one step closer to perfection, I have undone something vital.

Sorry for the exceptionally long post, but I am trying to be as thorough as possible. I have tried to use as many of the fine resources here to solve my own problems, but I am about one step shy of stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'll post compression numbers, etc. as soon as I get them.:banghead:

You tried switching plug wires and got no action, so stop guessing about ignition phasing and inspect. At TDC, one points set should be open and the other should be closed, and the valve adjusters on one cylinder should be loose and on the other side the adjusters should be tight. The open points should be connected to the cylinder with the closed valves (adjusters loose).

The .002" difference in point gaps should be corrected. Also, valve lash on 256 engines is wider than on 447's, and yours are set tight.

Drop of a full volt between battery and points is not a good thing. Ignition switch, kill switch, or dirty connectors are all possibilities.
Also check to be sure that you have a clean ground contact for the condenser pack.

Last edited:
You could try a direct jumper from the battery positive to the lead for both ignition coil power................bypass ignition/kill switch etc. Don't leave it jumpered for too long, just for a trial start up.

Points contaminated with oil from the feeler gauge?? Clean up with some contact cleaner.

This has never happened to me so I dont know what symptoms it may cause but I have bought carbs with the butterfly valves facing the wrong direction. I once had a backfire while starting and it didnt start so I went through all the troubleshooting for a half hour...Then noticed the backfire blew the carb away from the manifold.
D' oh!!

Thanks for all of the input. I greatly appreciate the help, especially after a couple of days of fruitless checklisting.

CDNTX650 had it right. The ATU was 180* out. Put it on the correct way and the bike started on the second kick.

Grizid1 - I had the points both set to .013, but it seemed as though I couldn't get enough movement in the backing plate to get the left side timed exactly right w/o opening the gap a little. I'll double check the points again tomorrow when I have a bit more time, and I guess open the right set up to match the left.

I set the valve lash according to my clymer for the XS2, I did see that the factory owners manual lists .006 intake and .008 exhaust. Does this seem like a better setting? If so, I will correct this as well.

I'll go through the connections to see if I can clean them up and resolve the voltage drop.

Bike ran great once it started. Seems like I need to do a little carb tuning now that I have replaced the throttle shaft seals - as I expected. I am still getting some slight popping on decel. but I'll be toying with mixture settings more thoroughly this weekend.

Thanks again.

Back