sounds like a really angry bird lives in my engine.

griinder

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
so, when my bike gets warmed up, it makes a really weird chirping noise on the right side, sounds like an air sucking noise almost, i havent been able to find a leak ar anything, a friend said he thought it might be the cam guide or something? i just picked this bike up about two weeks ago, it wasnt running, there was a broken solder on the pamco unit, fixed it and it fired right up. the dude i bought it from was running synthetic oil, any thoughts on that? its '78 650 standard.

Last edited:
I actually have the same problem on my 76 xs650c (standard). Mine sounds the same as a chirping bird and it is the butterfly throttle shaft seals. I sprayed carb cleaner around the ends and it completely changed the idle. This problem is also causing my idle to wind up to 4500 rpm. The new seals should get rid of the leak and seal everything up tight. My carbs are rebuilt and very clean, the only thing I have not done is the seals.

griinder
I had this for ages & it drove me nuts :banghead:, just like a bird chirping!!! Eventually traced it to the choke body on the right carb leaking, try tightening the screws tho I ended up having to change mine to allen bolts.
Can be other air leaks as well tho, like throttle shaft seals................... just work ya way thro them. A search on the garage for "chirping" will give you a few ideas. Happy hunting

Back