Source for seat trim rivet clips?

dougmuise

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replacing seat cover on my '77 and the clips that hold the trim piece are pretty rusted out. Anyone have a source for the rivet clips that hold trim to seat?

There's a seat cover how-to in the Tech section. Don't recall if it provides sources though.

Replacing seat cover on my '77 and the clips that hold the trim piece are pretty rusted out. Anyone have a source for the rivet clips that hold trim to seat?
Untitled-2.jpg

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-4-Count-10-Black-Phosphate-Standard-SAE-Flat-Spring-Nuts/3013177
From Lowes. I'm pretty sure NAPA has them too. Commonly called Push-On Speed Clips. There is a round style that is more common, commonly called Push-Nut or Push-Nut Retainer, or Starlock Washer, etc.

Has anyone found an alternative for the seat trim rivet? 3/4” long, 1/2” head. I see three on eBay,1J7-24789-00 NOS Yamaha Seat Mold Rivet RD400 XS1100 XS750 for $1.23+ship’n. I need 8. Perhaps plastic push rivets would work. Thanks

Attachments

• 6514479A-66A7-45EC-B873-9E8C86C11C03.jpeg
    6514479A-66A7-45EC-B873-9E8C86C11C03.jpeg
    698.2 KB · Views: 24
I don't know if they have that exact rivet but I was looking in McMaster Carr for another rivet and they had a pretty good selection.

Good to see this thread.
I've the large trim piece for a '77 seat that needs to be mounted on a fabbed up seat - '78 Special foam and cover on a '77 pan - but I'm a bit short on the clips. Thinking I visited the dilemma some time ago and found that aluminum large headed roofing nails fit the slot and pretty much matched the diameter of the 'pins'. The fly in the ointment was finding the push on pieces.
Farm fixes.

I found a set in my 'stuff'. A little rusty, but with rusty clips too. :D I put a set I had from another seat into a small plastic cup with Evap-o rust' to cover them for a few days. Shook them a few times and the will come out very nice.
You're welcome to them for $2.00 (postage).
seat rim pegs.jpg

course I'm a Luddite and the exchange would take a bit of postal time.
nj1639..........Cash is king...
I was really replying the the original poster, dougmuise. so he gets 'em if he wants them.
If he doesn't, jeez, maybe I should start an auction.:lmao:
I did the same with my seat, put a special cover on a standard seat pan-with special foam. I still haven't decided if I want to put the 'chrome' trim on.
seat 2.jpgseat 4.jpg

nj1639..........Cash is king...
I was really replying the the original poster, dougmuise. so he gets 'em if he wants them.
If he doesn't, jeez, maybe I should start an auction.:lmao:
I did the same with my seat, put a special cover on a standard seat pan-with special foam. I still haven't decided if I want to put the 'chrome' trim on.
View attachment 247790View attachment 247791
MrBt, I’ll take the rivets and clips if dougmuise passes, or just the rivets if he just wants the clips. PM me for your Ppal. Thanks
The Special foam and cover on the Std pan looks great and I’d attach the trim.

MrBt, I’ll take the rivets and clips if dougmuise passes, or just the rivets if he just wants the clips. PM me for your Ppal. Thanks
The Special foam and cover on the Std pan looks great and I’d attach the trim.
Untitled.png

Back