Video from Davenport

epas

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello
Here is a video of my close completed project- after this weekend a few changes i want to make and a few that are needed.
And also wanted to mention that stupid hairpin clip on the starter system wore out on me the day i was packing up. So it got kicked all weekend.
Also the rebuilt engine has 150psi on each cylinder.

Its in xs650 chopper section
Have more videos need to trim them down

https://www.xs650.com/media/img_5246-mov.29589/

Thanks for the posting the video - I posted the link here as many may not see it in the Media section.

It doesn't sound - in the video - as I expected it would. What cam and cam timing are you running? What ignition timing at idle and at advance? Is there any baffling in the headers?

Stock cam and timing
Pulled the tdi for a pma w/ points
All stock/ baseline settings- haven’t put a timing light on it yet - so not sure where its at on the advance.
I did stretch the springs just a bit so it would advance a bit faster.
As far a sound
I originally had those pipes wide open,
Sounded wickedly insane but crazy loud.
They are 1.5 inch diameter with a custom stinger and 1 layer of glass packing about 8 inches up from bottom.

Stock cam and timing
Pulled the tdi for a pma w/ points
All stock/ baseline settings- haven’t put a timing light on it yet - so not sure where its at on the advance.
I did stretch the springs just a bit so it would advance a bit faster.
As far a sound
I originally had those pipes wide open,
Sounded wickedly insane but crazy loud.
They are 1.5 inch diameter with a custom stinger and 1 layer of glass packing about 8 inches up from bottom.
Ah, that makes sense regarding what I'm hearing. I think the motor will want less restriction in the exhaust. One way to accomplish that is to step-it-up to 2" after the bend. On pipes that short, it's difficult to add baffles and get them not to add too much restriction.

It also sounds a little too advanced, causing loss of low end power and necessitating clutch slipping and some revs.

Lastly - now I'm getting over-my-head - I think those long intake runners will ultimately want an earlier/longer intake valve opening.

One change at a time...........

Last edited:
Yeah i was thinking bigger pipe after the bend just enough to get 1 wrap around of glass and have a 1.5 id - going to experiment w/ the # of holes for the stinger.
One of my engine buddies thought i went a bit to far w/ the springs as well
Going to get a new set next order from Mike. There is still a long way to go for tuning- just getting it to idle was a bitch. And that was just accomplished last week.
Started it so many time that starter spring clip wore out - had to kick all weekend 🙄

Back