spark plug hesitation

Yes there is a torque spec for everything but really just a snug it up and don't over due it is usually fine. Too tight and you end up stripping the head, not at the time, but later when you try to remove the overtightened plug. It pulls the aluminum threads out with it.
It has a crush washer so just snug it up. NEVER tighten when the engine is hot or even warm. Cold please.

Don't use a torque wrench on your spark plugs. I'm inclined to use a little less than the recommended torque on the old threads on these bikes, anyway.

To tighten a spark plug, hold the ratchet handle real near the socket, so that the handle part is effectively real short. That makes it hard to over-torque. And has been said, just snug it down. Doesn't need to be tight. I hate those crush washers; the first time they crush they feel like the head is stripping. Yuck!

Don't use a torque wrench on your spark plugs. I'm inclined to use a little less than the recommended torque on the old threads on these bikes, anyway.

To tighten a spark plug, hold the ratchet handle real near the socket, so that the handle part is effectively real short. That makes it hard to over-torque. And has been said, just snug it down. Doesn't need to be tight. I hate those crush washers; the first time they crush they feel like the head is stripping. Yuck!

yeah those crush washers give me that "oh shit, is this really happening right now" feeling. basically the reason for this question.

^After three or four turns thinking OMG I need a new head, you'll feel it seat and the world is good again. Unless you really do need a new head.

I've heard my wife say a few times that I need a new head.:)

Anyway, back to the topic..................I always use 14 ft-lbs; that's why torque wrenches were invented...........no hesitation...........no remorse............just turn until it clicks. No knowledge of heli-coils required.

Oh yeah, another tip.............always turn the spark plugs in with your fingers, never start a SP with it on a socket.

Good idea to use a spark plug thread chaser to make sure your threads are absolutely clean - then you know that resistance means it's seated where it's supposed to be. Don't use anti-seize - it may add resistance in the ground path and weaken your spark.

Don't use anti-seize - it may add resistance in the ground path and weaken your spark.

Do use anti-seize. In an electrical connection, if there's friction between the two surfaces, there's electrical contact. There will be plenty of friction. But use just a small amount, because it will clog up the threads after a few applications of too much. If that happens, just don't use it once or twice, and it'll clear up.

Try this: lay a half-inch bead of anti-seize on a non-conductive surface (e.g., wood, glass) and test for conductivity or resistance with your multimeter.

Back