Spark Plug Question

mick71b

Be kind, it's good for the soul.
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Are BR8ES plugs okay to use in an XS1b?
A friend asked me and I wasn't 100% sure of the answer. Forgive my ignorance. :umm:

Well, the #8 heat range was the original spec for that bike, but Yamaha changed their recommendation to the one step hotter #7 a few years later. They also changed from the regular plain "B" type to the projected tip "BP" type. Also, a BR8ES is a resistor plug. You wouldn't want to run that with resistor plug caps. You only want one instance of resistance in each plug line. That can be the plug, cap, or wire, but not combinations of more than one.

So, in a pinch, the 8 will work but it will probably burn darker. It would be good for sustained high speeds or if you took a trip and were running fast down the highway all day long.

Well, the #8 heat range was the original spec for that bike, but Yamaha changed their recommendation to the one step hotter #7 a few years later. They also changed from the regular plain "B" type to the projected tip "BP" type. Also, a BR8ES is a resistor plug. You wouldn't want to run that with resistor plug caps. You only want one instance of resistance in each plug line. That can be the plug, cap, or wire, but not combinations of more than one.

So, in a pinch, the 8 will work but it will probably burn darker. It would be good for sustained high speeds or if you took a trip and were running fast down the highway all day long.
Thank you for your help.

I can tell you that when I changed from the standard B8ES to BP8ES on my GS850 there was a small but distinct improvement in response. I later changed to BPR8ES because the non-resistor versions are getting harder to find, and I run with plain caps now.
So, there's nothing really to be lost by using ordinary B8ES if that's all you can get. The difference is marginal.
At the moment I'm running BR8ESs, just to get things at a datum level while I twiddle with stuff.

Back