Spark plugs died between runs?

Visegrippe

lurker extraordinaire...
Reaction score
went to start the bike yesterday and it just wouldn't, no fire, so i start tracing the electrical side of it, everything was fine. turns out the spark plugs just wouldn't spark any more. grabbed some crusty old ones out of a parts bike, and it fired right up...
i think i'm going to keep a couple sets of spares on the bike, and test them first.

any ideas why they would just crap out like that?

thanks,

Vise, what do things look like on the fuel side? Were the plugs wet or fouled with either fuel or oil? I have fouled plugs in the past from too much static (stationary) tuning and too much idling.

Also, what's the gap? I think somewhere around .028 is about on, depending on your coil(s).

Also, coil(s)... what are you running? The stock ones were notoriously weak in a best case, so you may want to upgrade to latter-day replacements that produce more juice. Personally, I have a PAMCO iggy and a dual output coil.

Anyway, spare plugs are a good idea... I'm going to do that as well.

TC

Last edited:
too much idling makes sense, they weren't particularly wet considering it had been cranked a lot, but it had idled alot last time i ran it.

running stock replacement coils, and had the bike jumpered to the car to make sure there was plenty of juice (the bat was a bit weak), nice strong spark after the plugs were changed.

if i get some money i might update the coils, etc.

we've also had bag plugs brand new out of the box, on another bike tore down the whole iginition before we figured that one out, so probably a good idea to test them before sticking them in the tool box,

Yes any points ignition is lame compared to an electonic. While waking up a 79 I had to clean the plugs many times before I got r going. I tend to use a propane torch and wire brush to clean plugs. I wired the coils direct to the battery with a switched plug in cheater harness I made up. I was getting only 10.2 volts on the battery side of the coil even with a new topped up battery on a charger. Too many old manky contacts in the system.

manky = dirty, wet, moldy, generally of an unhealthy or unsound nature.
cranky = old man like, see: gggGary

I felt un-old manky for a few minutes last night. I went to a nearby manky old drive-in and a cute little teenage waitress came out and said "Yeown gimmie at bok?" I told her I'd give it to her if she married me but I'd give her a ride for free. She said she'd thank abite it.

I felt un-old manky for a few minutes last night. I went to a nearby manky old drive-in and a cute little teenage waitress came out and said "Yeown gimmie at bok?" I told her I'd give it to her if she married me but I'd give her a ride for free. She said she'd thank abite it.

That there's some funny sh*t right there. :p

TC

Back